Cycling Advice

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ExperimentLain

Aquarium Advice Activist
Alright, its been a long time since I cycled a 'substantial' tank from scratch. I am setting up a 20 tall. I have an established (Although needing a water changed due to high nitrates) 5 gallon. I have the filter and everything I need for the 20, just waiting for the stand. I was wondering if I could float my new filter cartridge (After rinsing it) in my 5 for a while; a week or so, to help with bacteria growth?

I want to start the 20 with plants first, I read about the ammonia cycling, and I am not sure if that would damage the plants, or would I be better off just taking ornaments from my 5 to put in my upgrade for bacteria growth? I am also setting up a 10 nursery/clinic tank could I cycle that the same way?

Part of me wants to pick up a couple small plants and a moss ball to put in the 5 to establish those too. I am not sure if it's a good Idea, I would leave them potted until I moved them into the 20. I never did live plants so I am extra nervous about botching them up. I am putting a layer of Flourite (sp?) under my gravel. Is that brand okay? I haven't bought it yet, just the basics until I get my stand hopefully this weekend.

(Is it okay that I post any questions, concerns and readings on this thread while cycling? Every forum is different so I want to be sure! :) )

Your established tank has bacteria growing on EVERY surface ... if it's not too heavily stocked, you could easily just take the old filter media from its filter and put it in the new tank...
That will accelerate the cycle, but I'd still give it a couple weeks to establish itself at least... but I've had parameters stabilize within a couple weeks that way ... certainly much faster than 6-8 weeks!

Just my opinion and experience ... not scientifically proven. ;)

Only thing is that my current filter in the 5 is a biowheel and I don't have a biowheel for my 20 :( I wonder if I could shake it off in the 20 water to rinse it? Lol! I am not planning on fish in my 20 for a while, I'm planning the 6-8 weeks and if takes less than that then awesome! I don't like rushing these things.

My 5 has 2 Guppies in it, being they are both males I don't know if that's enough space, but no fins or tails are nipped.

I will try to tuck the biowheel cartrige in the 20 filter and see what happens Haha

Can I put a bamboo shrimp in a 20? Those are really cute xD

Yes... just rinsing the bio-wheel in the new tank will help "seed" it with live bacteria... IMO a much better way to accelerate the cycle than anything you could buy in a bottle.

You might also find a way to just hang that biowheel in the outflow from the filter on the new tank (zip-ties or something) ... the water flow will help to continually strip the BB from the small biowheel into the new tank... letting it hang there for a day or two should give you an adequate jump-start.

(Let me repeat... this won't completely replace the cycling process, but should help to shorten it a bit.)

I have the new filter in the established tank to run through and soak while waiting for my stand. I plan on putting the decorations in the 20 while it is cycling. Do live plants help at all? If not will they be okay in an establishing tank?
I really don't think a fish cycle is nice, I would rather not make fish suffer because of impatience.

I have the new filter in the established tank to run through and soak while waiting for my stand. I plan on putting the decorations in the 20 while it is cycling. Do live plants help at all? If not will they be okay in an establishing tank?
I really don't think a fish cycle is nice, I would rather not make fish suffer because of impatience.

Plants will definitely help. You can always do fishless, fishless us quicker too.

Add plants anytime you want to! They will be fine and may help to speed up your cycle as well. Fast growing plants will be of the biggest help.

I don't know that plants will SPEED the cycle, but the ammonia and nitrites will NOT have an adverse affect on the plants (well, they COULD... but it would take absurdly high levels... well beyond what's toxic to the fish.)... They can go in at any time.
Now, at the end of the cycle... when NitrAtes occur... some plants will absorb that and help keep Nitrates under control.

I don't know that plants will SPEED the cycle, but the ammonia and nitrites will NOT have an adverse affect on the plants (well, they COULD... but it would take absurdly high levels... well beyond what's toxic to the fish.)... They can go in at any time.
Now, at the end of the cycle... when NitrAtes occur... some plants will absorb that and help keep Nitrates under control.

Using a large amount of fastgrowing plants to cycle a tank with a minimal bioload is called a 'silent cycle'. You can safely cycle a tank using plants without a spike in toxins. The key is ALOT of fastgrowing plants and minimal ammonia.

I am not big on ammonia, too harsh for me and my other animals (especially my rats and one allergy ridden cat (smells really bother him)) I dont think I even own any haha. Though if i need some I can always get some from my parents or neighbor.

What plants do you recommend? I am putting a Aqueon - Floramax Fluor T8 Bulb 17W 24" Is that an okay bulb?

I am really wanting to get a few marimo moss balls, and I really like crypt and sword plants. I also like java ferns. I just have to see what my LFS has.

would I have to worry about the health of shrimp with so many plants? I am seriously considering Bamboo shrimp, they are so fun to watch. I am curious if I should get otos or snails in a planted?

I will look more into the "Silent Cycle" Ty :)

I am not big on ammonia, too harsh for me and my other animals (especially my rats and one allergy ridden cat (smells really bother him)) I dont think I even own any haha. Though if i need some I can always get some from my parents or neighbor.

What plants do you recommend? I am putting aAqueon - Floramax Fluor T8 Bulb 17W 24" Is that an okay bulb?

I am really wanting to get a few marimo moss balls, and I really like crypt and sword plants. I also like java ferns. I just have to see what my LFS has.

would I have to worry about the health of shrimp with so many plants? I am seriously considering Bamboo shrimp, they are so fun to watch. I am curious if I should get otos or snails in a planted?

I will look more into the "Silent Cycle" Ty :)

Do your research and decide how you would like to go about the cycling process. If you have questions, just ask!

In respect to your light & plants, a T8 should be fine for most basic plants that dont have high light or demanding needs. Java fern, anubias (theres a big variety too!), mosses, crypts, etc should all be fine. I think the swords will be fine too. Something fastgrowing such as wisteria or hornwort will do well and will be the most helpful.

In respect to shrimp, I have only ever kept ghosts but shrimp will love the plants! It will give them a natural environment and provide them places to hide and live. If you have specific questions about certain types shrimp or plants, dont hesitate to ask questions in the planted or invert section! :)

I have decided to try the Silent Cycle since I plan on doing a planted tank anyway. That and because a planted cycling tank will be far less boring than fishless/ammonia cycling- looking at a bare tank and all.

I hope to be going out on Wed to get my background and all the plants I will need for cycling. I have it about half full now and put in API Stress Coat+ for the tap water. I am getting really excited now!

The Bare Bones of my aquarium. I just like to see the progress of the tank for later to see how far I've come. I will be adding all the do-dads tomorrow after work. (I moved into my grandparent's house; so that explains (grandma's) the wallpaper :)

Attachments

• IMAG0652.jpg
    IMAG0652.jpg
    215.7 KB · Views: 55
So I put in flourite gravel in my tank, I washed it first. When I put it in my tank turned into a cloud of muk. Is this normal? I pulled it all out and cleaned it again. But its still cloudy, though less so. Should I just keep cleaning it and cycling my water out till its clear?
I think its safe to say I should not have used that?

Yes... just rinsing the bio-wheel in the new tank will help "seed" it with live bacteria... IMO a much better way to accelerate the cycle than anything you could buy in a bottle.

Do what islandhopper says. Replace your cartridge or biowheel on the five. Run your new filter on declorinated water, then just squeeze the old filter wheel into the new filters housing. Add a fish or two to feed the bacteria and your tank should cycle in less than a week.

You could even leave the old wheel in the new tank to help speed the process. Just make sure
It is in the path of good flow from the new filter.

So I put in flourite gravel in my tank, I washed it first. When I put it in my tank turned into a cloud of muk. Is this normal? I pulled it all out and cleaned it again. But its still cloudy, though less so. Should I just keep cleaning it and cycling my water out till its clear?
I think its safe to say I should not have used that?

Or just let your filter get rid of the cloudiness... Perhaps you could have rinsed it better (now you know), but I wouldn't go through the hassle of removing it from the tank again. No matter how good you rinse it, it will still cloud the water some when you put it in the tank.

Yep, it takes some rinsing. This link might help: How to Wash FLUORITE

Oh crud :( I did it all in my shower, I may redo it? Maybe a 75% PWC? I will have to pick up a new bio wheel and attach the old on in the 5 to the filter, I just hope I dont loose all that I had built up thus far lol may just be redoing the whole cycle? Bummer:(

Edit: To Island Hopper: Thank you, I hope if I disturb it daily it will help filer it out?

Oh crud :( I did it all in my shower, I may redo it? Maybe a 75% PWC? I will have to pick up a new bio wheel and attach the old on in the 5 to the filter, I just hope I dont loose all that I had built up thus far lol may just be redoing the whole cycle? Bummer:(

Edit: To Island Hopper: Thank you, I hope if I disturb it daily it will help filer it out?

Yes.

Just leave it in the tank... give it a stir once a day or so. (Keeping an eye on the mechanical filter media... rinse it out if it gets too clogged up.)

The cloudiness is just dust from the gravel... very fine particles. It's not "bad" for fish, it just doesn't look nice. It will settle out anyway, but rinsing it at the start prevents it from "clouding" every time you disturb the bottom.

Get some filter floss (plain polyfill) and run it your filters. Change or rinse it daily until your tank is clear (with water changes). This stuff does wonders for clearing fine particles out of a tank.

Back
Top Bottom