Cycling almost done.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Hollywood

Aquarium Advice Regular
My 90g has been cycling for three weeks today. This Sat is will be going to my LFS and getting my water tested. I plan on comin home on the Sunday and transfering everything from my 55g to the 90. Is there any thing I should do before hand or just "getter done" ? Oh I have LR. crushed coal, snails, crabs, and starfish.

is there anyway you could possibly transfer stuff from your 55 tank gradually into the 90... adding that amount of stuff at one time is going to throw off the chemical balance and it might even spike the water.. take your time transferring the stuff, what do you have in the 55?

I wouldn't think it would throw anything off unless it was out of the water for awhile. I can't see a quick transer of LR and the inverts causing a huge issue. Maybe the CC would if there is stuffed trapped in it. But, I dont know for sure, I could be wrong???

I agree with amkelly and you ryshark. That CC could contain a lot of nasties. I used to have a mix of CC and sand. I ditched the CC. There may even be some nasties in your sandbed. I would move about 1/4 or 1/3 over at a time each week, but that is just me being super safe. I would also have a large amount of PWC just in case.

IMO I would not transfer the CC over and start a new Sand bed. You should have enough LR loaded with nitrifying bacteria to handle a small spike.

Thanx. Hmm.. what to do. I guess I will slowly move it over. Better safe than sorry. I will also hold off on buying any fish this weekend.

#1. Get some test kits so you can test the water parameters on your own
#2. I would add a sand substrate to the 90 now and let it settle for a week before moving everything over.

How much LR is in the 90 now?

Right now there is no LR in there but I do have some crushed aggergate. I do have test kits for Cal, PH, and Nitrites. I just never believe the readings I get cause of inexperience. It's been cycling for three weeks and three day's with pumps and lights working. I seeded it with a little crushed coral on the first day and also have been feeding a pinch of flake food daily.

So you think I should slowly move my sandbed(crushed coarl) over all at once and let it settle for a week then move my LR, corals, and critters?

Crushed coral is not a sand bed. A sand bed consists of particles like you would find on a beach, sugar grain sized. I would buy some dry sand and put that in for a sand bed and discard the CC from the 55.

What kind of filter do have on the 90?
Do you have a sump?

The only livestock you have are some snails, hermit crabs and starfish?
That's all in the 55 with no fish?

All I have as a filter is an emperor 400 I beleive that's what it's called. Ya no sump. But I keep hereing alot about them and did a little reading and will be making a purchase or building one in the future. DOn't have a hole lot of paper riight now.

Did alot of moving in the last year and my fished seemed not to take it very well. Kind of left my 55 go with being to busy. I have now bought a house and will be here for awhile and decided to upgrade to the 90. So ya no fish.

Not having any fish is good. Now you can take your time, read the articles, ask the questions and save for the higher priced items while you plan the perfect 90 gallon tank.

I just did a test for Nitrite and it looks like I still have some. Should I wait till it's all gone before moving **** over slowly?

Man o Man! I don't remember waiting this long for my 55g. My Ph looks good but when I did my test for Nitrites the water turned just a little pink. Looked like maybe around 0.2. Should be done soon I hope.

Back
Top Bottom