cycling and stocking my new five gallon

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
alex07 said:
No need for a psi gauge, trust me you will know once you run out of air.

Are you sure? The reason I might need a psi gauge is because I will be refilling the co2 tank whenever needed, and I need o know when it needs refilled ahead of time because I have to drive a while to get it refilled. If I don't use a psi gauge I need to know ow long a 20 ounce tank will lat at one bubble per second.

maxwellag said:
Are you sure? The reason I might need a psi gauge is because I will be refilling the co2 tank whenever needed, and I need o know when it needs refilled ahead of time because I have to drive a while to get it refilled. If I don't use a psi gauge I need to know ow long a 20 ounce tank will lat at one bubble per second.

Depends how big is your tank is. I would buy an extra so when you run out you can just switch it.

alex07 said:
Depends how big is your tank is. I would buy an extra so when you run out you can just switch it.

Ok. But I would need to buy a smaller size extra because it is expensive at some paintball stores

maxwellag said:
Ok. But I would need to buy a smaller size extra because it is expensive at some paintball stores

You can find them in the paintball forums for way cheaper. I bought 2 20oz & a 24oz for $20 shipped.

Usually having more filtration allows for a small amount of fish to be added in addition, but space has to also be taken into account. Sure, the extra fish you have added are releasing ammonia that is being converted to nitrite and then nitrate, but that doesn't mean that fish can be crowded in there. I don't think neons should be in a 5 gal tank. My friend had two in a five gallon and they got stunted in there. A general stocking rule is one and a half inches of fish per gallon, if you have a lot of filtration.

Thanks. . .I appreciate your response. As I said I have had this running for about two months now, and the fish seem to be fine ( how ever I’m not a fish whisperer ). I had hoped that by changing the water often, and the added filtration would work, and so far it seems to be working. As stated by my user name, I am admitted a Complete Novice at this. I just wanted something to perk up my desk at work. We had a sales rep by a few weeks ago, and he evidently is ( or thinks he is ) an aquarium guru. He told me that I needed to buy a water sampling kit to track various chemicals and gasses in the tank. I have not done that and to be honest I probably wont. If the fish don’t make it to month three, then I’ll chalk it up to experience, and sell / donate the tank and equipment. But again, so far . . . knock on wood, they seem to be surviving and are OK. As for stunting the growth of the Neons, they are all about ¾ on an inch now, and you said you had a friend who stunted their growth by putting them in a 5 gallon tank . . . question, the ones I have seem to be about the same size as all others in the Pet Shop, so big do they usually get?

I guess, . . . .no I know, I’m a complete Neanderthal compare to the rest of you here, :ermm: and to be honest I’m not that interested ( at least right now ) in getting in so deep ( pardon the pun) into this hobby, but who knows. Right now the fish brighten up my work environment, and bring a smile to my face when I look at them . . . . AND as an extra added benefit, the ladies like to stop by my desk now too . . . LOL ! ! ! :lol:

Again thanks for your response and advice ! Nice to know there is a place to go if I really decide to get into this seriously !

maxwellag said:
Were they shipped full of co2 or not? What is the website?

No, just take it to a paintball store to refill it. I bought them from the pbnation website.

Why is this one thread going into a million different topics? Is anyone actually bored enough to read all the pages in this thread?

Robert H said:
Why is this one thread going into a million different topics? Is anyone actually bored enough to read all the pages in this thread?

It just recently got to the topic of carbon dioxide. But I brought the stocking topic back by asking about loaches. There is no where near one million topics.

maxwellag said:
Can someone tell me about loaches?

Have you tried to google it, you can also try the liveaquaria website if you need any info on fish

I do not have experience with all kinds. Clown loaches are fun, but they get big and they like to be in groups. Kuhlis stay small (4 inches), do not eat snails, like clean water, like groups, look like tiny eels, and hang out in plants or under decorations. Dogo loaches are similar to kuhlis but get bigger.
I mostly know about kuhlis (if you couldn't already tell. lol)

Back
Top Bottom