Cycling by adding seeded media

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Travis32

Aquarium Advice Regular
I am about to add a seeded sponge to my Marineland Penguin 350, and Emperor 400. Was able to talk my local aquatic store into letting me purchase one. Anyway, when I put the sponge into the filtration systems what can I expect to have happen? I plan on cutting the sponge in half and putting each half in each filtration unit. I have the API fresh water test kit to monitor the levels. My aquarium water currently has levels of ammonia 1.0, nitrite is 0, nitrate level is 0. So when adding seeded media what can I expect the levels to do and how quickly? Thanks

Sent from my SM-G360P using Aquarium Advice mobile app

You should see the ammonia drop within a couple of days and the nitrites not to climb but the nitrates should start showing up. That shows you have both types of beneficial bacteria present and they are handling the bioload that's in the tank at the moment. Once the ammonia goes back to 0 and there are no nitrites in the tank, make sure you add some livestock soon to keep the bacteria bed fed. (y)

Hope this helps. (y)

Thanks

Sent from my SM-G360P using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Back
Top Bottom