Cycling confusion! Please help.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Highlander_Girl

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I posted this exact issue on another forum I'm with bug nobody would answer. So I found this forum and hopefully someone can help me. This issue is with my son's tank.

Quick back story. Bought tank. Started fishless cycling. 2 weeks later the pet shop person told me I could add fish. I didn't know all about testing waters and such. After a week the glofish tetra started acting weird so it was a battle to save them with water changes a couple times daily. I tested the water a lot after that and there was ammonia, nitrites and nitrates. This was a couple weeks ago so I can't remember the numbers but with my test numbers I know that the cycling was happening.

So this last week I have been so busy and sick and I haven't tested the water but today I did and there was 0 ammonia, 0 nitrites and 0 nitrates. Where did my nitrates go? I hadn't done a water change since I last tested and the nitrates were definitely there.

It's a 10 gallon. 3 glofish tetras, 1 cherry shrimp and 1 mystery snail. 2 java ferns. pH was 6.8-7

Did the cycle just stop? Did it disappear? Everyone seems happy and healthy so I'm confused about the 0 nitrates. I thought I needed those?

I'm currently cycling my own tank. Correctly this time. And it is going exactly how the internet said it should be going. But I'm confused by the issue with my son's tank. Help and advice very much appreciated!

Have you double checked the nitrate test?

You say you are doing lots of water changes. What water changes did you do prior to your nitrate test?

Also, its a home test kit, not laboratory testing. Dont expect accuracy and consistent readings. All sorts of things can throw out a test. Ive certainly done nitrate tests, seen 0 nitrate, thought thats odd, redone it, and there it is.

Back
Top Bottom