Cycling help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SushiKeeper

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I set up my first tank (39 gal) about 2.5 wks ago, put a few 25 cent cent goldfish in to cycle with, and a few plants. My ammonia is at zero but i still got a couple ppm of nitrite hanging around, same level for a week now. My Ph is about 6.8 to 7. I tried the baking soda thing, but it spiked and crashed right back down, killing a pleco I had put in there. After that I did a 50% water change (2 days ago). I'm right back at the same place now, 0 ammonia, 2 or 3 nitrite, 5 or 6 nitrate, Ph of about 7. Any suggestions?

Attaching a pic of my set up. A few shells for some future shell dwellers, and some rocks for other stuff (still deciding).

Attachments

• image-3913750822.jpg
    image-3913750822.jpg
    117.1 KB · Views: 63
And go ahead and laugh at the bubbling crocodile head... My 6 yr old and 2 yr old INSISTED on it! Lol

Nitrites take a while to go down, longer than ammonia. Just be patient, your on track

Ok, cool, guess I'll give it a bit longer then. Should I keep changing the water every other week or so, or does that actually slow down the cycle? Also, what's best to raise the ph long term? I think every method I've read about has those for and against it. Which is easiest to maintain?

Ok, cool, guess I'll give it a bit longer then. Should I keep changing the water every other week or so, or does that actually slow down the cycle? Also, what's best to raise the ph long term? I think every method I've read about has those for and against it. Which is easiest to maintain?

No need to change the water until the night before you add the fish. You need to get your nitrates under 20ppm before you drop the fish in, and after a successful cycle, nitrates will be in the 100s. I use a substrate with crushed coral in it, it's a cichlid formula, that keeps my ph at a solid 8.0. Since your already using a substrate, you could just get a bag of crushed coral, and put it in your tank, or your filter if there is room. You want a stable ph rather than one that fluctuates, even if it's a little low

Back
Top Bottom