Cycling Help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BassSoLow

Aquarium Advice Activist
Okay, so I started my new 36 gallon tank on Sunday. It is equips with an Emperor 400 filter and heater. Decorations are set up, but I chose not to have live plants at this time (maybe I should?). Gravel is white and was thoroughly strained/cleaned before I put it in as were the fake plans and decorations.

I set up the tank, treated the new water with prime to clear the chlorine and stuff, then added the bacteria supplement. I then let the tank run for 24 hours. Then added 4 blue fin danios last night.

The water looks a little cloudy now.

What are my next steps to a successful cycle?

I have read to give it 2-3 days, then so a water test. If the ammonia is .25 ppm then I know it's time for a water change.

Just want to make sure this is correct and to see how much water I should change.

Thanks for the help in advance!

:)

image-3587827993.jpg

Hmm maybe you could have waited a few days. The cloudy water is a bacteria floating in the water. They are trying to eat the organic materials that are now present in the water and settle on a surface. There is said to be reduced oxygen levels during this stage but your fish will be ok.

The key is to do things slowly. If you do it right then you will find that ammonia will not exceed 0.25ppm. Your next fish should be added in a week to 2 weeks and again stock small few fish. The bigger the fish or higher the bioload of the fish the less you add. Always leave at least a week in between adding new fish to allow the bacteria to grow enough to cope with the current bioload. Monitor water parameters closely.

Good luck

With the age of this tank I would test every other day and do a water change any time ammonia or nitrites read above .25 ppm. You will have to keep doing this until the tank is cycled.

You should really should check for ammonia every day and nitrites every few days. Change water once a week say 30% OR if ammonia goes above 0.25ppm

You should really should check for ammonia every day and nitrites every few days. Change water once a week say 30% OR if ammonia goes above 0.25ppm

Didn't see your post the mebbid ^.^

That's no big deal :D You probably were typing your post while I was finishing mine.

I would like to add that I wouldn't bother with less than a 50% water change. Being sure to use dechlorinated temperature matched water. Any less than 50% just isn't very efficient at pulling out ammonia, nitrite, and nitrates.

Take a look at this link. It will help you out a great deal where cycling your tank is concerned.

I just learned about cycling but I already have fish. What now?! - Aquarium Advice

Back
Top Bottom