Cycling new aquarium - Round 2 - Micro organisms

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

beautie

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Some history.
I set up 2 new 10 gallon aquariums for the kids after Christmas.

Aquarium #1 still going strong (minus 1 danio). Water tests perfect and tank seems to have cycled nicely. (just a little algea to contend with)

Aquarium #2 has been a blood bath! The fish were seeming to do OK until
I noticed one of the Columbian sharks being lethargic and then quickly die. Shark #2 broke out with Ick which spread to the tetras and the tank was
lost. For the record, I know now that the Columbian sharks should have never been part of a start up or in a 10 gallon tank. LFS just seemed to want to sell fish! Anyway, I did a complete redo and boiled the gravel, rocks and driftwood and washed out the tank and filter in a heavy salt bath. The tank has been redone including 3 new plants (for a little decay) and is now in cycling mode for 13 days. Used "Cycle" to jump the process for the first 3 days
Here's the concern...
We have noticed 4 distinct micro-organisms on the glass in last couple of days:
1) small 1-2mm gell sacs with what look like eggs of some kind sticking all over the glass walls
2) small 1mm "worms" (they originally just looked like particles of dust) that move sort of like a millipede.
3) a couple of 2mm "worms" that move like a caterpillar and are pretty quick.
4) a couple of 1mm "flea" like creatures that seem to be "hopping" along the glass that can move at a pretty good clip.
I have a large magnifying glass but these guys are pretty small so I can't see their physical structure very well. I have added 2 tsp salt and noticed a slight decline in numbers.

Here's the question (finally)....

What are they? Do I need to be worried? Will these pose a problem when I add fish? Why do I not see any of these in tank#1?

I cannot afford to have anymore major trauma in my childs new aquarium.

Your help would be appreciated in making round 2 a fun experience.

1. probably snail eggs
2. idk
3. most likely some kind of flatworm or planariathat'll go away when your done cycling and if not will be eaten by the fish
4. probably daphnia.

all the ones I knew, most likely won't cause problems.

Are you putting food in everyday to make sure you continue the cycle or some other kind of ammonia source? Also do you have a test kit?

1 pond snail eggs
2 planaria
2 flat worms
3 daphnia

if you google them all, see if they look like what youre seeing. pond snail egg sacks usually have a curve in them, none of them will hurt your fish and as soon as you put fish in, they'll all probably be gone (except possibly the pond snail eggs).

what is idk?
why would i have snail eggs if i can't see any snails?
adding food every couple days and water testing every 2 days.
ammonia spiked and came down and now nitrite has spiked.
waiting for it to drop before adding fish.

idk-I don't know. That's great that the ammonia and nitrite spiked (y) Sometimes snail eggs come in with new plants (If you have them). Although I wouldn't be surprised that they're magically there, they seem to do that a lot lol (at least in my tanks).

idk = I Don't Know

You mentioned plants... the snail eggs COULD have come in on the plants without snails being present... but more likely there's a snail or two hiding out in your substrate :)

Back
Top Bottom