Cycling new tank questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Thisisalexcee

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
My neighbor has a nice salt water setup . I was wondering if I were to get done of his rock or sand/gravel anything from his setup if that would assist my cichlid tanks fishless cycle ? I'll be starting cycle next week would live to shave off as much time as possible

No any bacteria from the sw would die off in the fw. That might be enough for ur ammonia source but it wouldn't speed any thing up

I might jus talk to the guy I got all my Texas holey rock from he has multiple established cichlid tanks...what would be best to get to speed up the process & where should I be located in the tank or in the filter?

I've never used them but they sell all kinds of instant cycle products that have the bacteria in it. All u do is pour it in and ur supposedly good to go. In my experience with this hobby tho is nothing good happens fast

If you can get some seeded media from a freshwater tank source then you would want to add it in your filter to speed your cycle.

It can be some gravel or sand from an established tank but a piece of filter material from an established tank is the best and will normally have the most bacteria on it.

Sweet so I'll ask the guy I know for a filter pad from his tank if anything I'll use crushed up holey rock in the filter with sand/gravel as well. Once it cycles & my filter contains the right amounts I can toss it outta the filter right

What kind of filter are u using? IMO it's better to just run the 3 stage filtration don't think I would use sand or rocks in my filter but maybe some one out there has and they can tell u how it works

I wouldn't crush and add the holey rock to my filter I would just add the rocks to the tank as any bacteria they have on them would still help.

Beware of pathogens that can be transferred from someone else's tank. Ensure they use appropriate quarantine to ensure their tanks are free from disease causing pathogens. Ive ordered seeded sponges from angels plus with great results. Angelsplus.com

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Back
Top Bottom