Cycling question =D

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

chenwb

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hey all,

I just got another 5 gallon tank today. I plan to put in a betta and some plants sometime in the future.

I will be gone to attend a workshop for three weeks. Can I just dump half a frozen shrimp in my filter and have the tank cycled when I get back? Do I even need to cycle it, as the bioload is quite small?

In my experience a 5 gallon defintiely needs to be cycled. I guess the shrimp method might work while you are away? I think it would be worth trying anyway--just be sure to test the water and not assume it has worked.

Probably borderline with just a betta and plants. What are you going to use for filtration? A small sponge filter?

I'd probably opt for fish food as the ammonia source or a very small chunk of shrimp (or whatever).

Really appreciate the help! I have one of those small Eclipse Bio-Wheels.

I guess what might be really important is about how long the cycle will take. I don't want to have it running for 3 weeks to find my room is a stinky nightmare. It turns out that since this workshop is in LA area, I can probably come back on one weekend, say, after one week, so that the shrimp will be in there for two weeks. Will this work?

I will probably use shrimp as the source because my fish food was very expensive. According to one site I found, one shrimp suffices for 30 gal so I'm just going to use 1/6 of a shrimp.

Of course I will test the water. I have the whole range of test kits, so it's fine. I'd rather wait a while after the workshop than endanger my future fish =D

I general do water changes during the cycle so I don't know if it will stink up if you don't. But I know other people specifically say you should not do changes during a cycle as it slows things down. Be sure to let us know how it goes!

Sure! I'll probably run it for 2 weeks, instead of 3. 3 week old shrimp just seems a little...ugh.

Like CaptAhab's advice and you should be okay. The bacteria will consume the shrimp or fishfood and with the filter running it should not stinkup so much. ;)

Shrimp do come in different sizes so what size is good for a 30 gal is the question? Cycling can take a while so i would pop in the shrimp for the 3 weeks and make sure it is an uncooked shrimp. not those precooked cocktail shrimp. and like thincat says with a filter running and it only being one shrimp it really shouldn't stinkup much.

Sorry if I missed this.... but do you have another tank running? If so, I'd just wait and do a media transfer and deal with a probably short (if any) mini-cycle.

I'm also worried about the shrimp running out of ammonia in the middle of the three weeks. When does that occur?

Sorry, I don't have another tank with me. All my old fish are at my parents' a few thousand miles away.

You'll be fine for 3 weeks. The avg cycle is well in excess of that. Shrimp, piece of raw fish, whatever.

If using a piece of raw fish, be sure that it is not a fatty fish.

I'm going to use a raw shrimp. This will all happen in mid-July, just planning in advance.

How long do you think the shrimp will continue to produce ammonia? This definitely depends on the size of the shrimp as well, so it might be a factor in what I use. Do you think a small piece of shrimp will run out of ammonia in three weeks? Will the bacterial colony die if the shrimp runs out after two weeks and I leave it for another week? Will it die if there is too much ammonia in the water?

Also, the workshop is close enough to my house that I can go back on one weekend, but far away enough to make it inconvenient.

Because as the fish decays the fat will leach out into the water faster then the bacteria can consume it. This will either end up as a film on the surface of the water or overwelm the skimmer.

That's interesting.. What is the fat content barrier line where that begins to happen? Is it dependent on the water volume (ie one shrimp in a 20 is ok but 3 isn't but 3 in a 150 is?)

I don't think that shrimp matters that much as their fat content is very low compared to say a cod or a salmon. I have read many replies about excess scum (for lack of a better word) on and in the water by people using fish vs shrimp.
This is my Observation.

Back
Top Bottom