cycling questions/comments

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Harlow

Aquarium Advice Regular
Good ol country town outskirts of Auburn IN
So I'm slightly more experienced than I was when I first started asking questions on this forum, however, I'm still stumbling through some--what should probably be fundamental steps setting up this aquarium. Recently, my 30 gallon was wiped out by an ich attack. Long story short, I cleaned it, dried it, and have started it completely over. I've kept a few aquariums, but I've never actually, wittingly at least, cycled a tank. I always just put some water in, waited a few days, threw some fish and there, and yada yada.
Given that this tank was wiped out previously, I'm really trying to do everything right this time. I lost a 7 year old pleco in that ich attack that a friend gave me, and I'm REALLY hoping not to go through that again. So here we are, cycling my tank.

Before I ask questions, I'll share what I'm dealing with. I'm basically referring to this guide ( Cycling Your Tank - Dr. Bogger's Fish Keeping ) while cycling. I have a 30 gallon tank, there are 5 fish in it, 4 1 inch zebra danios, and 1 gold gourami. The temp is roughly 77F and I'm using API 5 in 1 test strips to check levels.
I'm sure much of the info in this guide is subjective. Some of it you may agree with, some of it you may think is inaccurate. That aside (at least for the moment) it talks about the ammonia levels building up until the stage one bacteria forms, and can convert the ammonia into nitrite. I have no way to test for ammonia levels, so I have basically been flying blind on what the ammonia may actually be like. Now, it says that nitrite levels max out around day 14. That's today. I have tested the water using the test strips. It shows no Nitrite, but a low level of nitrate (slightly less than 20 ppm). according to the guide there should be no nitrate in the water yet. Perhaps the strips are inaccurate, perhaps the guide is inaccurate. What do you suppose? Also, is the amount of fish I have an adequate amount to cycle the tank properly? Any other thoughts or advice? As always, I appreciate your time and your thoughts.

"The fish in the tank should show signs of stress due to the water condition." !!!!!
Yikes, I judge this cycling guide very very harshly =|

Well anyway. Some people who fish-in cycle never see any nitrites. Without knowing your ammonia levels it's pretty hard to know what's going on.
i'd recommend the liquid API test kit, as the strips give wildly inaccurate results. It's expensive in stores but pretty cheap at Amazon if you live in a country that receives delivery
Amazon.com: API Freshwater Master Test Kit: Pet Supplies

Back
Top Bottom