Cycling Questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

prgmitchell

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Okay so I just did a test of everything and my pH is at about 7.2, my ammonia is at .5 ppm, my nitrite is between 1 and 2 ppm, and my nitrates are at 0.

What do I do now...doing fish-in cycling.
I want to do whats best for the fish while still building bacteria.

Water change..? If so how much..I've tested everyday and this is the first time I have nitrites.

Yep, water change; nitrites are as toxic to the fish as ammonia so you want to get them down as low as you can; <.5 is a good target. With nitrite at 1 or potentially 2 you may have to do a few large (50-60%) water changes. Do one, wait about an hour or so, test nitrite again. If it's still over .5, do another large water change, wait and test, repeat if necessary. The nitrite phase is the longest of the phases and the most tricky as they tend to spike very quickly.

Yep, water change; nitrites are as toxic to the fish as ammonia so you want to get them down as low as you can; <.5 is a good target. With nitrite at 1 or potentially 2 you may have to do a few large (50-60%) water changes. Do one, wait about an hour or so, test nitrite again. If it's still over .5, do another large water change, wait and test, repeat if necessary. The nitrite phase is the longest of the phases and the most tricky as they tend to spike very quickly.

Okay! I did like a 40% change around when I posted this and I'm going to test now and then decide if I need to do another.

Off topic: I have a siphon to siphon out water into a bucket to drain the tank but I have to pour from the bucket (heavy) to the tank (high up on a dresser)....so my question is, is there an easier tool I can get (cheap hopefully) to easily get the water from the bucket to the tank without heavy lifting?

Okay! I did like a 40% change around when I posted this and I'm going to test now and then decide if I need to do another.

Off topic: I have a siphon to siphon out water into a bucket to drain the tank but I have to pour from the bucket (heavy) to the tank (high up on a dresser)....so my question is, is there an easier tool I can get (cheap hopefully) to easily get the water from the bucket to the tank without heavy lifting?

I don't know if it's what you are hoping to find but you could get a water changer. You hook it up to your tap and run it to your tank. No buckets needed.

edit - here like this http://www.petsmart.com/product/index.jsp?productId=11147172

I don't know if it's what you are hoping to find but you could get a water changer. You hook it up to your tap and run it to your tank. No buckets needed.

edit - here like this Aqueon® Aquarium Water Changer - Fish - Sale - PetSmart

No I've looked at those...I like the bucket because I can treat the tap water in there so the chlorines/other stuff that comes in it doesn't ever actually get in my tank. But thanks for the suggestion! I was hoping there was a siphon-like device that let me bring water from a bucket on the ground to a tank up high!

EDIT: and i just tested my water again...it's at .5 ppm now so I think it will be good for now...gonna test tomorrow to see if there is a nitrite spike and do a big water change if needed.

No I've looked at those...I like the bucket because I can treat the tap water in there so the chlorines/other stuff that comes in it doesn't ever actually get in my tank. But thanks for the suggestion! I was hoping there was a siphon-like device that let me bring water from a bucket on the ground to a tank up high!

EDIT: and i just tested my water again...it's at .5 ppm now so I think it will be good for now...gonna test tomorrow to see if there is a nitrite spike and do a big water change if needed.

I don't use a water changer as my set up puts me near a sink so it's not a hassle to use buckets but I know a lot of the members here use these. They does the whole tank with a dechlore and then add the water. So if you have a 30 gal tank but are only change out 10 gals you still dose for a whole 30. This way there is no risk with the chlorine. It mixes with the dechlor as the water enters the tank and because you've dosed the whole tank you don't need to worry about how it dissipates. I hope I'm making sense. lol.

prgmitchell said:

Trust me get the water changer. I have a 46g that I use a Python water changer for & it is WONDERFUL! Once I've removed the required amount of water I dose the full tank size with Prime, add any ferts & then refill the tank. The only mess is a possible drop or 2 of water, no lifting heavy buckets up & down.

Trust me get the water changer. I have a 46g that I use a Python water changer for & it is WONDERFUL! Once I've removed the required amount of water I dose the full tank size with Prime, add any ferts & then refill the tank. The only mess is a possible drop or 2 of water, no lifting heavy buckets up & down.

I guess whenever I upgrade to something bigger than a 10 gallon (a 55 gallon is next on my list)...then I'll get one along with it! Until then...it isn't worth it to me. Was just curious.

Back
Top Bottom