Cycling questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jdoherty12

Aquarium Advice Newbie
55 gallon tank has been setup 3 weeks now. Current numbers tonight were
nitrite .25
ammonia .25
nitrate 20
And ph was 8.2
I’m having trouble with my pH being to high even though I have plants and driftwood in the tank. Tap runs about 7.6-7.8. Also should I add seachem prime to the tank to reduce the ammonia and nitrite or just continue to let it run its course. I currently have 6 danios in their (was unaware of fishless cycle at the time). I’m wanting to add some bottom feeders soon but want to make sure they have best chance. Any advice helps!

Did you seeded your cycle in any way? Established filter media from another tank is best (perhaps you have a friend who keeps fish who could let you have some?). Otherwise a biological booster like seachem stability or dr tims one and only. This will speed up your cycle, but not instantly cycle your tank as they often advertise.

If you are seeing ammonia or nitrite you should be doing a water change. This might be daily for a few weeks while your cycle kicks in. You are getting nitrate so your tank is cycling, but not enough to clear all the ammonia and nitrite.

What test kit are you using? If API master test kit, then the ammonia test, if not looked at under good lighting (preferably daylight) a 0ppm can look like a 0.25ppm. Compare your readings with a bottle of drinking water that should be 0ppm for both ammonia and nitrite.

Common ways to lower pH without resorting to products like pH down, would be driftwood or indian almond leaves in your aquascape (you have driftwood) and peat moss in a media bag in your filter. Plants will increase your pH slightly.

I would say you are about where i would expect a cycle to be after 3 weeks.

Back
Top Bottom