Cycling update

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

apotocki

Aquarium Advice Regular
Ok.....I'm 35 days into my cycle.

Ammonia is at 0ppm and been that way for 2 weeks.
Nitrite is 'around' .5ppm (certainly no more) for the past 7 days
Nitrate is 'around' 5ppm
PH remains solid at 7.0
I've been doing approx 20% PWC's every 2-3 days.

Two questions:
1) Is the Nitrite reading of .5ppm for the past 7 days 'seem' ok?

2) I'm beginning to get what appears to be 'brown' algae spots on my driftwood and silk plants. Any suggestions? I've been tempted to introduce a couple of Oto's (and maybe a couple Cory's) but fear it may be too early?

Thanks

From your description (including the brown algae aka diatoms), it's sounds like your tank is cycled. The nitrite reading is cause for concern as it shouldn't exist at this point. Are you using AP's test kit?

Jchillin - yes AP test kit.....but the Nitrite test is definetely purple (.5ppm) and not the nice aquamarine (0ppm)...............do you know somehting about these kits?

I'm tempted to do another PWC and introduce fish.

The AP test is quite good so I would agree that there is nitite present. You know that nitrite isn't healthy for any fish so I would wait a little longer until it reads 0.

You're close...just a little more patience. In regard to the diatoms, otos are certainly a good choice. They do need a stable tank in order to survive. You can decrease the amount of lighting hours for the time being.

Jchillin - THANKS for the input.

'Diatoms' ?!?, hmmm, I knew I had seen that word before, now I know what it means!
I'm gonna do another 20% change, turn out the lights, and remain patient (hey - whats a couple more days when you've already gone 35!) and hope that the Nitrite goes to 0ppm.

apotocki,

Since you are doing a fishless cycle, it is my understanding that you shouldn't change the water because it will slow down the process. You don't need to protect any macro life (fish) from the nitrites, removing it takes food away from the bacteria you are trying to encourage. I continued to dose with decreasingly small amounts of ammonia well into the nitrite spike (after ammonia dropped to zero) so as to keep those bacteria fed.

It wasn't until the 4th day of my nitrite spike (as they reached the highest reading) that ammonia level dropped to zero. On the 10th day after the initial nitrite presence and consequent spike, they dropped to zero. It was day 8 I noticed a big drop, then two days as the last small amount was converted.

HTH,
Ben

Back
Top Bottom