Cycling with tetra safestart and tetras

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

katgrl

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi everyone.. Yesterday I added a bottle (8.45) of tetra safestart to my 29 gallon heated tank and added 5 buenos Aires tetras and a small piece of driftwood from lfs..I tested with Api master kit ammonia before after and today.. So far ammonia is non existent but I'm guessing tonight that might be different.. Also I did not feed them last night since the fish store stated they were fed in the morning.. I bought frozen shrimp.. My question is how do I cycle correctly with this method? Am I supposed to do a water change in a week or two? Any help appreciated and thank you

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

As TMaier and I had suggested in your previous post with cycling and stocking questions, the right way would have been to add media from a different tank and do a fishless cycle. It's unfortunate the tetras are in the tank. Depending on what kind of Tetras these are, they might not survive the cycle. I suggest watching out for ammonia and nitrites and keep with partial water changes to keep their levels as low as possible.

Good luck to the fish.

With a fish in cycle you will need to test the water daily and do a water change whenever you read ammonia.

Hi thank you for the input. Please do not think I didn't want to follow your advice.. The only reason I did not was because the ammonia levels in that tank were not good at all and I didn't want to chance it with this new tank.. I will do daily tests And do water changes as appropriate.. I just wanted to check if I needed to wait a certain time frame.. I didn't wAnt to reverse the effects of tetra safestart.. Thank you again for info

Every now and then these jumpstart products do what they say. Just keep an eye on the ammonia and change if needed.

Thank you again.. I really do hope it works..

It should still help if you had gravel or media from an established tank. Will definitely speed up the process.

Thanks, I did add a small piece of driftwood from the lfs .. I'm hoping that helps

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1471483952.746940.jpg

I did a water test tonight after feeding some frozen brine shrimp.. Ammonia still looks like 0.. I tested Ammonia, nitrates, nitrites and finally ph in that order as shown in photograph..ph seems like a 7.6, water temp 79

They're there just hard to see them.. There are 5 buenos Aires tetras

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1471485669.166799.jpg

Their bellies look full.. Maybe I fed too much, will be more mindful tomorrow

Ha ha, well best to feed sparingly until the tank is cycled. What else do you plan to have in there?

I recommend also to feed sparingly since your tank is not cycled. You'll basically be doing a fish in cycle so as soon as ammonia starts to rise, do some frequent water changes, should take about a month to cycle.
Oh and don't add any more fish till cycle completes.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Thanks for all the great advice.. Maybe I should get flakes since those might be easier to divide up? Or can I feed every other day? I'll check the levels tonight to see where we're At.. In terms of stocking, I'm thinking 2 dwarf gouramis or 2 honey gouramis, 6 Cory Doras, and maybe some mollies or plates .. If also like to get 1 bristle nose pleco ?

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1471564816.904404.jpg

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1471564827.928854.jpg

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1471564838.797384.jpg

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1471564847.964695.jpg

These are the water readings today, day 3 and still no Ammonia or anything else, please see 4 uploaded pics.. Is that normal?

Hmm, interesting. Definitely read the article in the link that TMaier posted. So my best is on one of the three following scenarios:

1. The tetra safe start is actually working and there are nitrosomonas and nitrobacter gallivanting around in your tank. Verdict: Unlikely

2. The piece of driftwood from the established tank at your LFS had both bacteria and they're growing fat consuming ammonia and nitrites. Verdict: possible

3. Your fish are extremely constipated from eating the freeze dried stuff you've been feeding them and they haven't pooped in three days. Verdict: unlikely but the only interesting scenario.

Be patient and keep up with the daily measurements :)

Back
Top Bottom