Cycling

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Amicus

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I just bought a 55g and filled it with water now I need to cycle it. It came with an aquaclear 110, there is a sponge in it but it is used. Should I get a new sponge or two and run a carbon pouch on it? Is the best method to add safestart or ammonia? If I want to change the gravel can I do it during the next two months or can I do it after? This aquarium was bought used for a fantastic deal, needed some cleaning but worth it. And what kinds of starter fish can I use besides red minor tetras and danios.

Amicus said:
I just bought a 55g and filled it with water now I need to cycle it. It came with an aquaclear 110, there is a sponge in it but it is used. Should I get a new sponge or two and run a carbon pouch on it? Is the best method to add safestart or ammonia? If I want to change the gravel can I do it during the next two months or can I do it after? This aquarium was bought used for a fantastic deal, needed some cleaning but worth it. And what kinds of starter fish can I use besides red minor tetras and danios.

Check out the link in my signature... That's got what you need in it.

I just posted this in another thread, so I'll just paste it here about carbon-

As for the carbon... I was talking about the carbon filled cartridges that come with virtually all HOB filters. These companies try to make money by selling these cartridges and telling you to replace the filter every month. Problem is, all your healthy little bacterias live in the filter and if you just pull it out, throw it away and put in a new one every month...you're just throwing away all your healthy bacteria and can cause a mini cycle. If you're just using carbon granules in a canister filter, it's not a problem, it's just normally unnecessary unless you're trying to remove meds or odor from the water.

Just use the mesh sponges with nothing in them until they fall apart. Carbon is really only used for removing meds, or if you have bad odor in the water.

Homedog98 said:
Check out the link in my signature... That's got what you need in it.

Yes, PLEASE do fishless cycling. It's faster, more efficient and your fish won't die or be permanently damaged.

I agree with fishless cycling, always seemed a little cruel like a gas chamber, almost. Do you by chance know how many lbs of sand I need for a 55g and what kind of sand I should use?

I know you can use pool filter sand...that's what most people use, but I don't know how much. Probably depends on the type of fish you want, some prefer a deeper substrate than others.

eco23 said:
I know you can use pool filter sand...that's what most people use, but I don't know how much. Probably depends on the type of fish you want, some prefer a deeper substrate than others.

If you go with that... It's like 5 bucks for a 50 pound bag... So you can just eyeball it.

I am at the store looking for ammonia and the only type they have is lemon scent. Will the surfactants and colorant harm the process?

Amicus said:
I am at the store looking for ammonia and the only type they have is lemon scent. Will the surfactants and colorant harm the process?

Yes. They prevent you from being able to add fish. Are you at ACE hardware?

You will not get nitrites or nitrates if you use the lemon scent ammonia. Ace Hardware has a store locator on their website. They have the correct kind you need. 10% janitorial strength, red and white label...No surfacants (additives)

Nice, thanks. No, I was in a grocery store. I will go to ace tomorrow as I also found they carry pool filter sand. :) really close to my house.

Good because we just helped a member for 2 weeks. After the member realized he had additives in his ammonia, we knew why he never saw nitrites or nitrates. I hated it for him but he had to clean everything, replace filter media and.flush and fill several times. It was his birthday also.....Yea I am glad you found an Ace Hardware Store.
Thanks for fishless cycling.

Deckape said:
Good because we just helped a member for 2 weeks. After the member realized he had additives in his ammonia, we knew why he never saw nitrites or nitrates. I hated it for him but he had to clean everything, replace filter media and.flush and fill several times. It was his birthday also.....Yea I am glad you found an Ace Hardware Store.
Thanks for fishless cycling.

Yes, thank god you didn't buy the lemon scent. I would have just copied and pasted our 200 post thread we just did with the other member, lol.

Good job asking questions and not just assuming.

Back
Top Bottom