Cycling

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ld123

Aquarium Advice Freak
Looking at this water test. Where am I in my cycle?

Forgot to post picture

Attachments

• image-51556500.jpg
    image-51556500.jpg
    140.5 KB · Views: 42
Only a couple days but doing tank transfer so old substrate and filter media are being used. How much longer would u say?

wow, looking at your water test, i am at the same stage. Mine has been cycling for 2.5 weeks but I started from scratch, no filter media or substrate from another tank. How often are you doing the partial water changes? Both of you nitrites and nitrates seems a bit high. Keep us posted and happy fishkeeping.

I haven't done a water change yet as only been set up about 2-3 days. I don't know how much longer it will take though.

Yes they are a bit high. I am confused how nitrate can be showing and nitrite is still high?!

I'm doing fish-in cycle for close to 3 weeks now. I started with fish since day 1 and as of today no fish loss (yet). I have 3 neon tetras and 3 platies. I've been very diligent on checking my water parameters and doing pwc constantly. At least once a day ~50-60%. Also, I'm very careful of not over feeding my fish. You will do good, but focus on those parameters at least once a day and get those levels down by doing partial water changes. Keep us posted on your progress.

Daily water changes do u mean? How much in a 90L? Yes my fish are fed every other day.

Honestly it depends. My last setup cycled in 18 days. Incredibly fast IMO. So I waited until 30 to add fish. I have seen some take as long as 40 days. Amount of water flow, oxygen, LR all factored in it varies typically 30-40 days unless your using chemical to speed it up I personally am anti chemical.

Was the previous tank fully cycled (0 ammonia and nitrite) before the switch? if so then it's probably just a mini cycle from switching over, some debris could have gotten kicked up from the substrate and causing nitrites. If it's a mini cycle it shouldn't last too long, a few days to a week approximately. WIth nitrite at 2+ though and with fish you'll want to do some large water changes to get those levels down.

I'm using "cycle" to speed up the process, but I realized that the cycle has stalled. I'm wondering if it is because I was adding too much dechlorinator to the water on the daily water change.

No the filter on the new tank is new but I used some old media from current rank

I am using a cycle agent aswell. But I have not done a wc yet

Some chemicals boast a 1-2 day cycle. Others say they make ammonias nitrites and nitrates non lethal to fish. I personally prefer patience. It's always worked in the past. But if you must hurry go get some bags of mud from a friend or LFS and place them in the tank in moderate water flow area but beware of the possibility of bringing in parasite and disease from other system

Back
Top Bottom