Cycling

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

stagerlee

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I just got done cycling a 5 gallon FW tank (fish less) with ammonia. I took a while but seemed to be pretty straight forward. I now have a 25 gallon FW tank I'm starting. Any thought on using the starter bacteria you can buy or is using ammonia my best bet?

Stick with the ammonia fish less cycle. I would never recommend the starter bb products

My understanding is you would have to use both together but the BB starters are hit & miss.

Use some media from your 5 gallon to seed your bigger tank, it should be okay if you slowly add fish.

Ya I thought I might try that (seeding with something from the other tank) en conjunction with some ammonia, till the levels get right

Seeding is good, but be careful not to take too much. Especially if it's newly cycled, you may end up with a mini cycle in the 5 gallon.

Seeding is good, but be careful not to take too much. Especially if it's newly cycled, you may end up with a mini cycle in the 5 gallon.
Word up!

Stock your 5-gallon and enjoy it. Leave the media alone; it's actually still colonizing with beneficial bacteria. A filter is not fully mature until it's been running for several months. Anything can disrupt a newly cycled tank.

Now that you've had practice cycling a tank with bottled ammonia, the next go around should be a breeze. And that's what I suggest you do to cycle the 25-gallon.

Good luck!

David

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom