cyno in only one area?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tmyboy

Aquarium Advice Freak
Ok all....

Im going a little crazy here because everything was going very well for a number of months in the tank. Coral is growing and fish are healthy,but........about 2 weeks ago I noticed some cyno developing on the substrate only in one side of the tank.

Now I did try some new coral food about 1 week prior.....but of course didnt use it again after I seen this. Then after closer investigation, I noticed that my koralia 750 was all clogged up and restricting flow on that side. I cleaned it out and its working properly again.

Now its been over a week and a half since I re-established flow to that side of the tank, but the cyno keeps growing in that same area and its driving me absolutely insane at this point.

I even swapped out my ro/di filters and resin that were only about 4 months old. Water is 0 tds. Bulbs are about 7 months old, so I dont think its that. Besides, wouldnt cyno be in more then one specific place in the tank if it were bulbs?. running 2 -250 mh with 2-54w t5 actinics. Mh run for only 5hrs at this point.

Water parameters are all in check. 1.025 salinity. I cut back feedings to every 3 days.

Getting a bit desperate and would really appreciate some help!!!!

Treat it as u would with an entire tank breakout just starting in one spot means it will move everywhere eventually

Jason M said:
Treat it as u would with an entire tank breakout just starting in one spot means it will move everywhere eventually

I see your point but the thing is....it hasn't spread yet which I'm Thankful for. Last time I got Cyno was when I started the tank and it grew everywhere! Thats why im a bit confused.

Do you have any suggestions in regards to treatment?

Could there be decaying food in that exact area? I only got red slime on my sand because it was a big grain, now switched to finer and it went away.

crister13 said:
Could there be decaying food in that exact area? I only got red slime on my sand because it was a big grain, now switched to finer and it went away.

I have crushed coral for my substrate. I guess its possible that there's some decaying food, but its unlikely. I only feed once every 3 days. Frozen mysis and I soak and rinse that several times before i put that in.

Maybe ill add a small nano powerhead and aim it right at that spot. I think I have enough flow but im willing to give it a try.

try sucking it out during a water change. That's how I got rid of mine and it has never came back (knock on wood!!)

Back
Top Bottom