Cyno?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Becks

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I'm pretty sure this is it but just checking. What do you think? Is it cyno? I just read the Article on AA about cyno and found out it comes in green also. I have two beautiful shades of green in my tank but both are isolated in small spots on rock and don't seem to be spreading at all. Anyway - here's the pic.

Thanks,
Becks

Attachments

• img_1372_874.jpg
    img_1372_874.jpg
    138 KB · Views: 35
Sure looks like cyano scrape off siphion out .. Increase water flow.... cut back on lighting , and feedings....do a 20-30% water change to help lower nutrients

I'm concerned about reducing feeding. I have 4 fish (a gramma, cardinal, goby and bass). I have been feedig twice a day but only 3 to 5 tweezer pinches of mysid shrimp. Is this too much? I slowed feeding considerably when the cardinal quit eating a couple of days ago but she took a bite last night so I think she is okay.

Can I go any less? I do try to leave them slightly hungey.

Becks

Most people I know feed once every other day. That is indeed cyano, you also have it in the pretty shade of red on the front glass.

I feed my fish every other day. I agree with Sadielynn, trust me it will spread like wild fire.

Got 'cha.
I skipped the morning feed and will skip again tonight. I've been removing anything dark off the substrate and wiped off the glass and back walls of the tank. (Looks a lot better already!) How do I get it off the rocks? The Turkey baster I am using doesn't seem to pull anything off the rocks. Maybe my snails are keping the rock clean?

Just the same I will do a 20% WC tonight. (that will be the second this week) I think I'm going to beat it. Seems like I caught it early.!

THanks all !!!

If you follow the above advice it will come off the rocks on its own. At least that was my experience. If you really want to you could take rocks out and scrub with a steelwool brush.

Keep in mind your tank size. If you do all the above but overstock, you will still have issues.

If you can't siphon it off the rocks, it is probably coraline, not cyano, sometimes they are very close in color. Cyano should suck right up.

Yep, I have found certain spots on the rock are "hosting" what I think is green cyno and I have used the turkey baster a couple of times to extract that. It comes off easily but reappeared in a couple of days. I have also taken a bit off the glass again but that is not too much trouble.

Overall it seems to be dying back.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom