Damsel Addition

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Zanotti

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Sorry, I am a bit of a newbie to SW. I have an 8gal nano, about 4# of live rock, clean up crew of 4 red legged crabs and three snails.

I had one yellow tailed blue damsel. Everythings fine right?

Today I added some mor rock and one additional damsel (same type blue w/ yellow tail). OK you can se this coming - they fight like cats and dogs. I thought that these were community fish, now what?

Two other newbie questions. I have one fake plant (cloth) its now got brown spots over it and they are growing. None of the clean up crew goes on the plant so the allege is getting more. Other than simple rinse that will last for a few days, what should I do.

Also, water quality. I checked out ok at the store. Can you see the cycle? My water is very clear so I assume ok. I do a 20% water change weekly and have a split tank that is tank in the front and a three stage filter in the back.

Thanks,

Z

Welcome to AA Zanotti!

First off Damsels are very aggressive fish by there nature, Two damsels together in a nano, is not going to work out. If I were you, I would take it back and purchase another smaller fish such as a yellow goby, or maybe a royal gramma, or small clown. The clown and the damsel may or may not be ok. Mine are.

How much LR do you have? How long has the tank been going? :wink:

PS. You need to purchase your own liquid test kit for your tank. You need test for Ammonia, Nitrate, Nitrite, PH, and a Salinity Meter.

I cycled my tank with 15 damsels and they ended up fighting like that also. As for a solution..... you got me? Other than get rid of one of them :cry: As for the algea how long has your tank been runing? How long do you leave the lights? Tanks will get algea pretty quick when there new. But after a while it will slow down. And Welcome to AA.com :smilecolros:

Back
Top Bottom