DanS Future 90 gallon reef

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Absolutely true. Lots of young tanks get a bout of cyano. I don't know if something leaches out of fresh rock and sand or what but it's really common. Strong flow also doesn't hurt. It's just one of those battles that pops out of nowhere at some point or two during the first year of a lot of systems. Once there's lots of other life all over every part of a reef it usually doesn't come back.

Put the lights low, crank up the flow, feed modestly (you already do that) and pop in some phosphate remover (you probably have it in already). It just stinks to have it but it's almost like a rite of passage.. like the tank's just testing you to see if you're serious about keeping another tank. lol You'll defeat it.

I think I'm gonna do a water change today and try and siphon as much out as possible and leave the lights off. Its not a lot of cyano and people probably won't even notice it but I see it and it bothers me lol

I'm eventually going to get another koralia 1400 powerhead also.

My honest opinion on this would be to just leave it. Tanks still new so don't really have any corals to lose in it. If you just leave it until you see it decline on its own then it will have absorbed the excess nutrients leaching from the sand and rock. At that point I would start the removal process but it should almost entirely disappear in a night or two on its own once everything is used up.

My honest opinion on this would be to just leave it. Tanks still new so don't really have any corals to lose in it. If you just leave it until you see it decline on its own then it will have absorbed the excess nutrients leaching from the sand and rock. At that point I would start the removal process but it should almost entirely disappear in a night or two on its own once everything is used up.

Well I do have 3 corals in the tank. That's the only reason I was gonna siphon it out

Surprise!! I went in today to look at power heads and winded up looking around and what do ya know? They already ordered my fish in :)
ForumRunner_20130114_162559.jpg

Ughh this eBay/light issue is taking so long to resolve, this is why I hate getting things off the internet!! Lol

Hey Dan i think the reason why I was always losing so many fish was because my rodi machine that I bought sucks lol. Im hoping I just need to change the filters but the TDS meter (not sure if it's calibrated correctly) reads 120 or so ppm. I was wondering if you ever checked the ppm coming from your unit? I bought replacement filters off line on ebay - once they arrive and are swapped out i'm hoping to get a 0ppm reading. Maybe I can keep fish this way lol.

Hey Dan i think the reason why I was always losing so many fish was because my rodi machine that I bought sucks lol. Im hoping I just need to change the filters but the TDS meter (not sure if it's calibrated correctly) reads 120 or so ppm. I was wondering if you ever checked the ppm coming from your unit? I bought replacement filters off line on ebay - once they arrive and are swapped out i'm hoping to get a 0ppm reading. Maybe I can keep fish this way lol.

Wow!! 120ppm! That's insane.. my TDS meters always reads 0 :)

I think it was just a bad case of new tank syndrome bc everyone is doing awesome now :)

I assume the same thing. Yeah I almost flipped a shi* when I found that out. I've been doing water changes on this tank since November every 2 weeks and topping off with this "rodi" water wondering why I can only keep 1 clown. He's pretty hardy I tell ya lol. I have a bunch of corals with the exception of a purple sea whip and pompom Xenia that died that are doing great. I can't wait to see what they look like when I get this water under control. I'm buying boxed natural sea water from petco 20 gallons I'm swapping out on Thursday until the new filters come in to get this out of my tank

I assume the same thing. Yeah I almost flipped a shi* when I found that out. I've been doing water changes on this tank since November every 2 weeks and topping off with this "rodi" water wondering why I can only keep 1 clown. He's pretty hardy I tell ya lol. I have a bunch of corals with the exception of a purple sea whip and pompom Xenia that died that are doing great. I can't wait to see what they look like when I get this water under control. I'm buying boxed natural sea water from petco 20 gallons I'm swapping out on Thursday until the new filters come in to get this out of my tank

Well that's good. Yeah speaking of, I may need to buy replacement filters as well. My rodi unit has been non stop ever since I bought it with having both of these tanks and doing religious water changes the way I do lol but the TDS meter is still 0 so I'm good, guess it'll just be better to have them when the time does come.

Order replacements from BRS. They have quality cartridges that filter far better and last longer than most other retailers. You probably have Depth Sediment and solid carbon blocks in your RO/DI. Those last for ages before water quality starts to decline or water pressure begins to lower.

Order replacements from BRS. They have quality cartridges that filter far better and last longer than most other retailers. You probably have Depth Sediment and solid carbon blocks in your RO/DI. Those last for ages before water quality starts to decline or water pressure begins to lower.

How long do the cartridges the unit comes with usually last? I have no idea how long they're supposed to last or an average timetable

okay i know this is off topic but i was just on ReefCleaners.com and im thinking of placing an order soon for my CUC. Just wanted some input on what i should get and how many of each. heres what i have already
6 Nassarius Snails(small)
3 Magarita Snails(medium)
1 Sand Sifting Snail(large)

More snails? hermits? stars? shrimp? etc.

Let me know what you guys think!! :)

I think you're okay for CUC right now. Keep in mind the snails and hermits poop too. And your system is still new so there's no need for such a big crew yet. Over time I'm sure you can add more snails. I think what you have for now is sufficient. IMO

I think you're okay for CUC right now. Keep in mind the snails and hermits poop too. And your system is still new so there's no need for such a big crew yet. Over time I'm sure you can add more snails. I think what you have for now is sufficient. IMO

Nah I wasnt gonna get em right now, just down the line, I'm gonna let my sand bed accumulate food/waste before I add more of a CUC.

I'm definitely ordering a package online tho, the prices r so much better than my LFS

Back
Top Bottom