Dary's tank!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I’ve been using that pre mixed stuff for about a month or two now.. I’ve kinda got mixed reactions over it .... it sure saves some time and mess that for sure but seemingly IMO my fish seem to like the mix it up yourself better.
All in all tho , it’s a great product ., I think Greg was the one who originally tried it out first for us and I’ve been using it religiously ever since .
I have a new batch of the mix it up yourself stuff coming in on Friday so I’ll get a real hand to hand comparison then for sure .

Hit the nail on the head. The freshly mixed up stuff my fish go crazy for. They like the pre mixed balls, but it stays stuck on the side of the tank all day as they nibble on it. So, though they aren't loosing their minds about its freshness...having that splotch of food there has done pretty well at keeping the filefish away from my coral.

I have a question for those if you who have quarantined a powder blue tang before adding it to your display tank .
It’s been almost two weeks of quarantining this guy with no visible signs of disease or stress ,...do you suggest a few days of a cupramine treatment just to be on the safe side or should I just proceed as I am for another week ( non medicated ) and then add him to the main tank? ,.... I’d appreciate any input cuz as I’ve said before this is the one fish I really want but it’s my nemesis.

I know you've had issues with them, but I don't see any reason not to add it to the tank. You know what a healthy fish looks like Dary, and I have full faith in your abilities no matter the fish. If you don't see a reason to continue QT, be it with or without copper treatment.
I have never had the room or ability to QT incoming fish, and it did bite me once...but when it comes to tangs having an appropriately sized tank for them, at what point does it become harmful towards the fish? I don't have the answer to that sadly.
So, the question becomes, do you see a reason to treat with copper?

That’s kinda where I’ve been leaning to but I’m just a little extra cautious I guess,.. kinda like getting a flu shot ,...maybe it’s good or maybe it’s not .
I think if everything stays the same I’ll try adding him to the main display either this Monday or Tuesday or the following week while I’m at home to observe things.

Well I decided to go ahead and add the pbt to the main tank yesterday,... she was looking good and eating it’s nori etc. so why not ? ,she’s been in the quarantine tank for 2 1/2 weeks now.
I rigged up the drip system and slowly acclimated her to the main tanks water for about 3-4 hours,.... then I prepared the small clear ,flow thru acclimation box in the main tank and put her in there.
Over the next few hours my fox face relentlessly tried nipping and bumping the box with the pbt in it ., oh #*&$ this isn’t looking too good !! so as soon as the aquarium lights went off I released the pbt into the main tank and popped open a adult soda and watched for awhile ,..the fox face had gone to sleep by now so there wasn’t any issues there so it was time for me to retire too.
This morning as the aquarium lights were off the pbt was out cruising by itself with no interference from the fox face,...as soon as the aquarium lights came on the fox face appeared and it decided to investigate the pbt,...there was kind of a “ Mexican stand off “ with nobody really attacking one another,...when ever the fox face became a little too aggressive the pbt let it know that she could play that game too.
Overall,it’s been much better than I originally thought it would be .,the scopace tang doesn’t seem to care one way or another and just continues about its daily routine.
I guess only time will tell how it all goes down but at this point it’s really good .
....Stay tuned ,lol

For one reason or another I seem to be fascinated by mushrooms ., so I thought I'd share a few pictures of some of the ones I have acquired here recently.., if anyone wishes to post some pics of some mushrooms they think that I just must have , then please do so.... So far nothing in the tank seems to care that I have them., except me.... :- ). Dary

How can anyone who appreciates the sheer variety of life on this planet not be amazed by mushrooms? Just the honey mushroom colony in Oregon should be enough to inspire millions of google searches on the subject.

Lol,... I started off with a few assorted mushrooms years ago in my initial tank and I’d hate to try and count how many I’ve got now,... the lavender hairy mushroom colony that I started years ago has pretty much taken over the whole tank but the greenies are doing their best to keep up ., I no longer have a sand bed !!
Gotta love em

Aquarium advice home page 2017 totm ( tank of the month ) ,... although that was taken back in the tanks “heyday “ ,... mostly overgrown with LPS now. :-/

Well,...there’s been a few days of aggression re the locals versus the new powder blue tang but they’ve been hanging out together more and more lately without having to call out the riot squad.
I’m awaiting 2 little female lyretails and a Luna wrasses today,..qt tank ready to go ,... fingers crossed

Hii when it comes to lighting I'm pretty close to being an idiot but,..I've got a tek four build t5 unit ,which has one actinic white,two blues and one 454.. What all that means I have no idea,...but the nice folks at marine depot called and asked me a lot of questions regarding what I wanted to do etc,and then suggested these lights

Hii when it comes to lighting I'm pretty close to being an idiot but,..I've got a tek four build t5 unit ,which has one actinic white,two blues and one 454.. What all that means I have no idea,...but the nice folks at marine depot called and asked me a lot of questions regarding what I wanted to do etc,and then suggested these lights

It’s all about color and light penetration and what your corals need,.I believe eventually most long term reefers will go to a led lighting setup for ease of maintenance and slicker smaller size.
The led systems usually are rather pricy up front but cheaper in the long run.
I’ve dealt with marine depot many many times over the years and they’re top notch ,... it was cool of them to call and advise you on a light system .

It’s been a week since I’ve received my 2 lyretails, and my Luna wrasse,...one of the lyretails was pretty droopy in the shipping bag and unfortunately didn’t make it thru the night ( store credit given ),.... the the Luna wrasse and remaining lyretail did great in the qt tank eating ,swimming etc,..this morning I decided to add them to the DT but couldn’t find my lyretail,...I finally found him stuck to the qt’s water intake tube from the filter,apparently last night he brushed up against it and got captured .,unfortunately I found him too late.
So after my weekly water change the Luna wrasse has been drip acclimated to the DT water and is currently in the flow thru acclimation box inside the main tank.
The current residents haven’t showed any hostility towards him yet ,he’s very active and I think he’ll do just fine.
The powder blue tang has been doing great and looks wonderful , very little aggression from the other critters for the last four or five days . Fingers crossed !!!
Happy thanksgiving everyone !!!

Thanks hank,.. the Luna wrasse once released was all over the place mingling with all the residents without incident,..he was even hanging out with the powder blue like they were buds ,... I dropped some mysis into the tank and he ate more than his share .,zooming in front of the fox face to grab a bite or two.
The powder blue at this point hasn’t shown much interest in the mysis but goes crazy over red marine algae sheets.
My girl friend really like the Luna wrasse cuz it’s so active and reminds her of the Hawaiian Christmas wrasse’s that we see snorkeling over there. ( pre COVID )... I think I’m going to look into the compatibility of getting another wrasse or two .,any advice here would be appreciated .

Back
Top Bottom