Dary's tank!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Gregcoyote said:
Honda makes a tiny 1000 watt generator perfect for apartments or small homes with fish tanks. 1000 watts is more than enough to keep flow operating and that's what counts.

Thanks. I'll look into that.

Gregcoyote said:
Honda makes a tiny 1000 watt generator perfect for apartments or small homes with fish tanks. 1000 watts is more than enough to keep flow operating and that's what counts.

And they're quiet !!! ..... Mine ( although she works very well) sounds like you're in the engine room of a WW11 freighter.

Last edited:
Ok as you remember ,yesterday in the far far land of Dary's tank world ,..I had a power outage and had to run and hook up my generator to keep everything running smoothly, (so far so good,)..everything went smoothly and alls well.....next I did my weekly pwc which I do 99% of the time on Monday morning,..immediately ,after doing my pwc 99.9% of the time I start making up my water for next weeks pwc. BUT, yesterday my girl friend was getting ready for a housing inspection and needed my help ASAP with some weed whacking,tree trimming,hedge clipping etc etc etc,....so being the good boy friend that I am I headed over there to do all the yard work,...hours later I limped home exhausted knowing that I should start making up some water for the pwc but being that I was pretty much toast I decided that id just relax ,have a beer,pass out and that the makeup water would have to wait until morning.
At 2am I'm awaken to the sound of something not quite right coming from the other room which holds my aquarium.....a quick dash in there is met with wet feet from a water logged carpet,..#%}&€ ( I'll let you fill in those colorful words)....now just yesterday on Jodi's thread I had mentioned that for the last year my tanks been pretty bullet proof from any major leaks or disasters,....well so much for that whole case senecio !!!!! Apparently a line separated from my brs reactor and flooded the surrounding area,...the noise I was hearing was the sound of my sump pump running dry......NOW,...IF I had made up that water yesterday I could had added some of that back into the tank at 2am....BUT ,...once the sump drained my ATO kicked on and filled my tank with about 4 gallons of kalkwasser water,...needless to say here I am at 2 am with no made up water ,a very cloudy tank ,hoping that all my parameters aren't going to go thru the roof and kill everything off ,..#4£@#£ !!!!!
So, at 2am I start making up water , thank god I bought that 150 gpd upgrade for my RODI unit,....so by 7am or so I had enough water made up to refill my sump and get that restarted ,....as soon as more makeup water is made I'll be doing another pwc to try and even out the water and get it back on track.
A $1.00 hose clamp fixed the problem temporally ,BUT another valuable lesson was learned ( again) don't take anything for granted,..leaks and disasters are going to happen sooner or later,....I'll be making a trip down to dixieline tomorrow after work to " bulletproof" ( yeah,right) this whole connection system.
I also have some coral coming in this afternoon....wow , talk about good timing !!! "... Man you talk about #%$ hitting the fan!!! ..... And that concludes today's story of Darys tank ,.. Hopefully everything will live happilly ever after.
P.s tank water getting clearer by the minute

Last edited:
needmorecowbell said:
Gosh.. That stinks. I hope everything goes well, I'm guessing theres going to be a lot of pwc's to clear this up :/

Thanks "spuds" ,.. ,..originally added about 30-40 gallons to make up for the water that was lost thru the leak/ hose ,..and then did another 25 gal + pwc change on top of that ,.... I'll give it some time to adjust,... Maybe a little more tomorrow (?) ,... Water back to being crystal clear again..... I read somewhere that that amount of kalkwasser would not do any real / permanent harm to the system,..I hope they're right cuz I'm tired !!!! In the meantime ,I rethought about those connections that i had ,and ordered some that I think will do the job without fail.... Live and learn my boy! Live and learn ! .... Remember a while back we were talking about the shirt I had that said " in order to be old and wise., you first must be young and stupid"..... Suddenly I feel over qualified!!

Last edited:
Lol, i definitely will. I've heard that too, not sure why it happens though. Id just keep testing to see of the levels are good, and go from there. Calcium could be all the way up to 520 without you seeing much negatively, some stores in my area go that high. The only other things to worry with are ph, salinity, and alk. They alk should be in the same ratio as it usually is with the calcium, but salinity will be lower and ph higher. Water changes will clear that up quickly though.

I remember that shirt! So true..

Whew... I think i may have dodged a bullet but here's the tank as of minutes ago... The only thing a little out of sorts is one large softie thats down but sometime she wilts for a day or so anyways ., I'm assuming its a coral thing they do ( digestion?) ,but anyways so we'll see what happens., but all in all ok
Ps.. Sorry but sent same picture twice

Attachments

• image-392300709.jpg
    image-392300709.jpg
    158.5 KB · Views: 105
  • image-1990683773.jpg
    image-1990683773.jpg
    158.5 KB · Views: 138
Tank looks great Dary, sorry to read about your soggy carpet fiasco, hopefully that added Kalk won't effect anything poorly. Look at it this way, at least the tank got an extra large water change!
I often stop myself from saying anything about my tank in that respect, for fear of the exact same thing happening! :)
Best of luck, Toby

Thank you guys...., I just like to as honest as I can regarding what's going on,... Sometimes it bites you on the butt and sometimes it doesn't,...the " softie" has all but come back from its little nap so all's well....I decided that for my next little project I'll be building a little open top hood that'll conceal my light fixtures and at the same time maybe add a little decor to the dump..

Dary421 said:
Ok as you remember ,yesterday in the far far land of Dary's tank world ,..I had a power outage and had to run and hook up my generator to keep everything running smoothly, (so far so good,)..everything went smoothly and alls well.....next I did my weekly pwc which I do 99% of the time on Monday morning,..immediately ,after doing my pwc 99.9% of the time I start making up my water for next weeks pwc. BUT, yesterday my girl friend was getting ready for a housing inspection and needed my help ASAP with some weed whacking,tree trimming,hedge clipping etc etc etc,....so being the good boy friend that I am I headed over there to do all the yard work,...hours later I limped home exhausted knowing that I should start making up some water for the pwc but being that I was pretty much toast I decided that id just relax ,have a beer,pass out and that the makeup water would have to wait until morning.
At 2am I'm awaken to the sound of something not quite right coming from the other room which holds my aquarium.....a quick dash in there is met with wet feet from a water logged carpet,..#%}&€ ( I'll let you fill in those colorful words)....now just yesterday on Jodi's thread I had mentioned that for the last year my tanks been pretty bullet proof from any major leaks or disasters,....well so much for that whole case senecio !!!!! Apparently a line separated from my brs reactor and flooded the surrounding area,...the noise I was hearing was the sound of my sump pump running dry......NOW,...IF I had made up that water yesterday I could had added some of that back into the tank at 2am....BUT ,...once the sump drained my ATO kicked on and filled my tank with about 4 gallons of kalkwasser water,...needless to say here I am at 2 am with no made up water ,a very cloudy tank ,hoping that all my parameters aren't going to go thru the roof and kill everything off ,..#4£@#£ !!!!!
So, at 2am I start making up water , thank god I bought that 150 gpd upgrade for my RODI unit,....so by 7am or so I had enough water made up to refill my sump and get that restarted ,....as soon as more makeup water is made I'll be doing another pwc to try and even out the water and get it back on track.
A $1.00 hose clamp fixed the problem temporally ,BUT another valuable lesson was learned ( again) don't take anything for granted,..leaks and disasters are going to happen sooner or later,....I'll be making a trip down to dixieline tomorrow after work to " bulletproof" ( yeah,right) this whole connection system.
I also have some coral coming in this afternoon....wow , talk about good timing !!! "... Man you talk about #%$ hitting the fan!!! ..... And that concludes today's story of Darys tank ,.. Hopefully everything will live happilly ever after.
P.s tank water getting clearer by the minute

Oh wow. Keep an eye on your Alkalintiy!!!

Dary421 said:
Thank you guys...., I just like to as honest as I can regarding what's going on,... Sometimes it bites you on the butt and sometimes it doesn't,...the " softie" has all but come back from its little nap so all's well....I decided that for my next little project I'll be building a little open top hood that'll conceal my light fixtures and at the same time maybe add a little decor to the dump..

I was just thinking how a canopy would make your tank look even more awesome! Nothing huge, just something to hide the lights a bit. They are actually pretty easy to diy, if your into that stuff.
I tried one and I think the next time I build it, it will be close to exactly what I want.

needmorecowbell said:
I was just thinking how a canopy would make your tank look even more awesome! Nothing huge, just something to hide the lights a bit. They are actually pretty easy to diy, if your into that stuff.
I tried one and I think the next time I build it, it will be close to exactly what I want.

.. Yeah ,.i got an idea in my head ,.actually two idea's ,one a lot more detailed which is the one I think I'll end up doing,...hopefully,..I'll get motivated one of these days and make up a list and head over to home depot.....oh well...off to another exciting adventure, :-/

Well today the "fix" came in today from brs so I could " permanently hookup my brs reactor to my drive pump and prevent any leakage or fittings coming loose,... (It was my fault for "Jerry" rigging the return lines in the first place,.). Now everything is hooked up via the RODI type connections from pump to return,....yea ! Now ,.for the last four or five years I have not had a windshield washer working on my lovable and trusty Toyota previa van,...I thought that the pump was fried or the jug was busted So i ordered an after market replacement unit that came in today but was totally unsuited for this application,...I climbed under the car and found that water just flowed thru the pump when you filled the jug up with water,.i removed the pump and found out that there was two plastic nipples that had sheared off from the pump and that's where the water was pouring out from,... Now you are probably wondering what the #%^€ this has to do with a aquarium build,..well,.. I went searching thru all my extra aquarium parts and found some spare plastic airline connections that seemed like they were about the same size as the broken nipples ,...,long story short ,I managed to drill out the broken nipples and re glue in the new aquarium nipples and reattach the tubing and everything worked beautifully !!!'. See, there was an aquarium connection after all !!! :). , I was very proud of myself for that fix!!! Time to relax and have a beverage!! ,. Tank meanwhile doing well.

Good job on the reactor and the car fix Dary. I find when you fix something with stuff thats just laying around or something completely unrelated you get a bigger feeling of accomplishment than doing it the " right " way lol.

Hondatek said:
Good job on the reactor and the car fix Dary. I find when you fix something with stuff thats just laying around or something completely unrelated you get a bigger feeling of accomplishment than doing it the " right " way lol.

Thanks,...I really felt good after that,...and the beverage was extra sweet!!!

I know ive mentioned before about where i work and the fishes we bring in so this morning we had a couple of long range trips coming in so i thought id snap a couple of quick pictures for you to see... This is pretty typical for a seven day at this time of year.., yellowtail., bluefin, yellowfin tuna and some dorado mixed in too.. They still had a ways to go with the unloading but you get the idea... Later on towards fall they'll be targeting the larger fish to 400 lbs..... Ok., gotta get back to work :-/....

Attachments

• image-1088751323.jpg
    image-1088751323.jpg
    187.1 KB · Views: 115
  • image-3731454974.jpg
    image-3731454974.jpg
    177.6 KB · Views: 140
  • image-3031294823.jpg
    image-3031294823.jpg
    148.5 KB · Views: 131
  • image-3714636060.jpg
    image-3714636060.jpg