Dary's tank!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I don't run as much blue light so my photos seem to be okay. My Idaho grape monti cap is getting thick. It grows differently than my other caps seem to. It is my first one, so I am not sure what to expect from it. It's purple color is pretty amazing. My purple Cerealis Acropora is growing fast. It is about the size of a baseball so far. I don't intend on fragging it until it is soccer ball sized. It is remarkable after all these years to be now able to grow things like this.

Greg.., after seeing your tank I'd be flabbergasted if you COULDN'T grow one to prehistoric proportions ... I'm just hoping that my new monti will adapt to my conditions and flourish . ( fingers crossed. )

They tend to be a pretty straight forward coral, one of the easiest SPS in my opinion. The combination of flow and lighting can make them grow into very interesting patterns and I think they are gorgeous.

Well about the only real news coming out of my tank's world is the addition of a new heater and controller.... Yes, even in southern California it gets pretty cold at night and my old 300 watt heater which was more than adequate during our 95-100 + degree summer has been losing the battle with the winters cold trying to keep a stable temperature during a normal 24 hour period .
Normally I try to keep my tank at 78 degrees which is no problem during the summer :-/ but with every nite having the temperature dropping to frosty levels has cause the tank to swing a few degrees which has caused more than a little concern on my part, so I had ordered a 500 watt blueline titanium heater and controller...the complete unit was just a tad over a hundred bucks with s/ h and so far has kept the temperature stable at my desired setting.
The only screwed up thing is the digital read out on the controller has the temp reading exactly 3 degrees warmer than the tanks water actually is, I tested this by using my tanks coolers digital read out compared with an additional thermometer which both read within 1/10 th of a degree from one another,
Considering that I realize what's going on with the controllers read out and the fact that the unit seems to be keeping the tanks temperature very stable I can live with that.,..I'm sure my tanks inhabitants are thanking me in their own little way.

I know my weather here in San Diego can not compare to what prob 95% of you guys are going thru on a daily basis during the winter but I'll be more than a little curious as to what and how some of you guys keep your tanks heated .

So far they don't seem to care at all. I am running over 500 gallons and have a in line heater that is obviously not cutting it.
Are you on any other forums? Want to stay in contact, but I have about had it, again, with the children on this forum.

Last edited:
So far they don't seem to care at all. I am running over 500 gallons and have a in line heater that is obviously not cutting it.
Are you on any other forums? Want to stay in contact, but I have about had it, again, with the children on this forum.

Nah,..just on this forum,..teaching isn't an easy thing Greg and Imo you are considered one of them here,..one look at what you've done over the years with your set should convince anyone of that...grab a tall cold one and hang in there professor,..glad to hear your critters are doing ok. ,.. Thanks

Nah,..just on this forum,..teaching isn't an easy thing Greg and Imo you are considered one of them here,..one look at what you've done over the years with your set should convince anyone of that...grab a tall cold one and hang in there professor,..glad to hear your critters are doing ok. ,.. Thanks

I have tried my best to provide my insight. It makes me mad that many on this forum have 2-3 pieces of coral and are all experts. I am growing 50 different species and have been doing so longer than these newbies have been alive. Arguing the same old topics over and over again. Tangs in a nano was the last straw. Will check in on you now and then, but as for advice, no more from me. These idiots are on their own. Keep up the GOOD work Dary.

Last edited:
I have tried my best to provide my insight. It makes me mad that many on this forum have 2-3 pieces of coral and are all experts. I am growing 50 different species and have been doing so longer than these newbies have been alive. Arguing the same old topics over and over again. Tangs in a nano were the last straw. Will check in on you now and then, but as for advice, no more from me. These idiots are on their own.

I hope you don't go, there are people who actually listen, your advice is actually seeked by most people

I have tried my best to provide my insight. It makes me mad that many on this forum have 2-3 pieces of coral and are all experts. I am growing 50 different species and have been doing so longer than these newbies have been alive. Arguing the same old topics over and over again. Tangs in a nano were the last straw. Will check in on you now and then, but as for advice, no more from me. These idiots are on their own.

I hope I didn't cause any of this. I've valued everything you said and I apologize if it didn't seem like it. You were actually an inspiration to me, your diving experience and tank experience make me jealous. Again, sorry.

And dary, you're tank sounds like its doing great.. Have you ever had any algae problems? Btw, you're an inspiration to me as well, hope I don't sound like an idiot to you either.

I am too sensitive. In my job I argue with people all day long regarding life and death issues. The only reason I keep coming back is for folks like Dary and even you. Going to go have a cocktail. This forum needs more cow bell...

I am too sensitive. In my job I argue with people all day long regarding life and death issues. The only reason I keep coming back is for folks like Dary and even you. Going to go have a cocktail. This forum needs more cow bell...

Lol phew, I was going to be a bit upset if I caused a great person like yourself to leave. Well hope your cocktail is a good one, and thanks.

I hope I didn't cause any of this. I've valued everything you said and I apologize if it didn't seem like it. You were actually an inspiration to me, your diving experience and tank experience make me jealous. Again, sorry.

And dary, you're tank sounds like its doing great.. Have you ever had any algae problems? Btw, you're an inspiration to me as well, hope I don't sound like an idiot to you either.

You are wise well beyond your years,...thanks for chiming in re. Greg,..it doesn't matter where you go ,there's always people who know everything and refuse to listen,...they are the losers and will never benefit from the knowledge that Greg and others try to pass on,., I myself love listening to people who thru out the years have acquired so much hands on knowledge and are willing to pass it on to myself and others for free!!! Kind of like going to college online,...and yes,..we need more cowbells !!!!

Hope the feeling passes. I too look forward to your input and advice. I hope to some day have a fraction of the success you have in your beautiful reef. Hope to hear you on here again sooner rather than later. :)

Sorry didn't mean to jack your thread Dary. Btw how is your big green alien mycediium chalice doing? Hope it and all else is well.

Hope the feeling passes. I too look forward to your input and advice. I hope to some day have a fraction of the success you have in your beautiful reef. Hope to hear you on here again sooner rather than later. :)

Sorry didn't mean to jack your thread Dary. Btw how is your big green alien mycediium chalice doing? Hope it all else is well.

Alien chalice and everything else doing well, thank you.... Never a jacking of this thread,..I think things like this issue are very important to the welfare of our forum and a way to say thanks to those who take the time to educate us.

Dary, it's not all success. I had a big growing piece of capricornus that started to die from the center out. No sign of nudibrancs and the thing died before I could get a dip for it. All other caps are fine. Still a mystery.

Gregcoyote said:
Dary, it's not all success. I had a big growing piece of capricornus that started to die from the center out. No sign of nudibrancs and the thing died before I could get a dip for it. All other caps are fine. Still a mystery.

What dip do you use? The first dips I ever used were just Loguls in a bowl of tank water back about 12 years ago.

I used Revive, it smells like Pine Sol. Works great for pests, but this cap died in just 24 hours. Should have tried a freshwater dip, but was just leaving to go out of town. When I got back just a clean skeleton was left.

Back
Top Bottom