Dary's tank!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I don't know what's up with it, but it ALWAYS leaves the soot in my barrel. The same goes for Seachem Reef salt.

Maybe Doug could send Greg a little bit of his salt that he KNOWS leaves some soot and Greg could use some of his RODI water with THAT salt and see if he gets any residue,.. And Greg could send Doug a little of his RODI water and have Doug mix up a little of his salt that he KNOWS leaves a residue and see what happens,...it'll be a fool proof test to see if it's the salt or the water,..... Just thinking out loud,....it'll be for the good of science if nothing else,....still no word on my skimmer's shipment from the factory yet,.getting anxious to say the least

Last edited:
Check out Dr gs salt mix. Used a lot down south. There web page has some info on mixes. Made in Maryland with a lot of other good stuff. Down in SE Fl he delivers his pods and food himself.

Maybe Doug could send Greg a little bit of his salt that he KNOWS leaves some soot and Greg could use some of his RODI water with THAT salt and see if he gets any residue,.. And Greg could send Doug a little of his RODI water and have Doug mix up a little of his salt that he KNOWS leaves a residue and see what happens,...it'll be a fool proof test to see if it's the salt or the water,..... Just thinking out loud,....it'll be for the good of science if nothing else,....still no word on my skimmer's shipment from the factory yet,.getting anxious to say the least

It probably takes a fair amount of salt before much residue is formed. And if both our RO/DI water shows very low dissolved solids, the precipitation shouldn't be water dependent. And I recall he said he had brands of salt that didn't do this.

I haven't used Instant Ocean in years, but I recall having the mix pump covered in brown slime occasionally.

Anything that comes out of a mine is going to vary. But maybe not as much as salt you would make from natural sea water.

Last edited:
I don't know what's up with it, but it ALWAYS leaves the soot in my barrel. The same goes for Seachem Reef salt.

As awesome as your tank looks I may need to get some of that brown soot lol. It's the missing ingredient X. : brows:

lol. Yep. it's not all salts and the salts that do are consistent. I dunno. I still use them. I'm always alternating anyway. I'm using Coralife and Red Sea right now.

Dary, did you get your skimmer?

I sent an email out this morning to the retailer I purchased it from and asked them for any updates from the mrc factory re.tracking # or any updates on shipping,..like magic about an hour later I got a tracking # from them/ups stating that the skimmer was sent out on the 19th and will be here on Monday ,.. Meanwhile back at the ranch , I purchased a nice little dewalt table saw to help me in the extension of my tanks cabinet to enclose barrels , reactors ,RODI unit etc so it won't look so gaudy,

Last edited:
Nice pick up on the table saw Dary. Ill be putting some use on mine this weekend too making the stand for the new tank room. Can't wait to hear your review of that beast of a skimmer. The guy I just my tank from last weekend had a used skimmer about 9' tall that he said was used on a 20k gal system. Thing was monstrous!

Nice pick up on the table saw Dary. Ill be putting some use on mine this weekend too making the stand for the new tank room. Can't wait to hear your review of that beast of a skimmer. The guy I just my tank from last weekend had a used skimmer about 9' tall that he said was used on a 20k gal system. Thing was monstrous!

Tell me you didn't buy the 9 foot skimmer Keith ,.... That would really be something to see !!!! ( pictures? ) I started using the new table saw this afternoon,..wow ,.she's a real beauty !!!
I'm kind of at a stand still until the skimmer shows up,...hopefully ups will deliver early Monday am.

Lol, no I didn't buy it. My new skimmer dreams are on hold for quite some time. Had to get a couple of return pumps , ATO, and LED lights for the frag tank. That right there was the orca funds :(
Hope the build goes well for you. I wish my table saw was a Dewalt instead of a cheap ol Black & Decker hehe. At least the stand I am gonna start building this weekend doesn't need to be pretty as its going in the spare bedroom and is strictly for grow out.

Lol, no I didn't buy it. My new skimmer dreams are on hold for quite some time. Had to get a couple of return pumps , ATO, and LED lights for the frag tank. That right there was the orca funds :(
Hope the build goes well for you. I wish my table saw was a Dewalt instead of a cheap ol Black & Decker hehe. At least the stand I am gonna start building this weekend doesn't need to be pretty as its going in the spare bedroom and is strictly for grow out.

Gotta like that orca...re. Dewalt vs black and decker table saw., it prob wont make a real difference to me ., most of my woodwork looks like it was put together by the drunken brail woodworking institute anyways :-/. What did you go with as far as your ato and pumps for the frag tank?

Last edited:
I'm getting this one.....
img_2353645_0_2aea742a6d74933c2a704e2d3dd6e94a.jpg
;)

Gotta like that orca...re. Dewalt vs black and decker table saw., it prob wont make a real difference to me ., most of my woodwork looks like it was put together by the drunken brail woodworking institute anyways :-/. What did you go with as far as your ato and pumps for the frag tank?

I went with the Tunze Osmolator 3155 ATO & for my return pumps I got an Eheim Compact 2000 & an Eheim Compact 5000.

Clearly we have the same carpentry skills!

Back
Top Bottom