Dary's tank!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I took a small clean piece of rock about the size of a golf ball and tied a bit of fishing line on it. I pack all the holes with mastic then hang it in the tank. The advantage is that far more fish can pick at it at once. They also seem to like picking at the rock.

I took a small clean piece of rock about the size of a golf ball and tied a bit of fishing line on it. I pack all the holes with mastic then hang it in the tank. The advantage is that far more fish can pick at it at once. They also seem to like picking at the rock.

I have a lot of connection with fishing line [emoji55],... that sounds like a great idea !

A little update ,... I just ordered a neon green hammer coral ( again ) ,..these have always been my nemesis for one reason or another but I am bound and determined to get this right too,..I think about the longest I’ve managed to keep one of these suckers has been about a year and a half before going nuts up ,... I’m going to place this one on the sand bed this time instead of a little higher up on the water column which I always seem to do in the past .
Greg got me thinking about water flow and pumps again because I always have had one problem area which seems to be isolated flow wise from the rest of the tank ,... this little area seems to develop a little cyno and has always bugged me ,.... I decided to follow Greg’s lead and just ordered a maxspect xf230 gyre powerhead for the left side of the tank in high hopes that it’ll generate the needed flow to this section , I have the mp40 on the right side already so maybe between the two they’ll generate some interesting flow patterns .
Otherwise besides greg costing me more $$$ lol ,everything seem to be great in the tank !!!

ROFL...it’s my fault!
Okay...whatever works.

Just got my Gyres setup. Read the manual first as it isn’t as straight forward as you can imagine. These things run forwards and reverse. They are crazy strong, so throttle it back at first.

Well dary I've had my green neon hammer for 8 years if the one you ordered don't pan out shoot me a pm I'll send you a nice frag from it IMG_20171230_142356_580.jpg

Well dary I've had my green neon hammer for 8 years if the one you ordered don't pan out shoot me a pm I'll send you a nice frag from it View attachment 306368

Wow !!! 8 years !! ,....I’m impressed ,...nice looking tank ( gotta love those monti’s ) I just got in from my lfs and bought myself a flame angel to slowly add my little growing colony of critters , hopefully the other critters won’t pick on him too bad !! Fingers crossed !!
Chime in often ,love the inputs

The powder blue tang went after the newly introduced flame angel yesterday but today seemingly all hostilities have subsided ,...I added a tiny little blue hippo tang about an inch long and a small squirrel fish this afternoon too,... there’s been no hostilities towards either of them at all , in fact the flame angel and the squirrel fish have kind of adopted one another and seem to hang out together .
My new maxspect gyre powerheads was placed into the tank today and has really produced a much need current flow in the area that I had hoped for .
The hammer coral that I had ordered from live aquaria was sitting inside my gate when I arrived home and is now sitting on the tank’s sand bed and has started to open up.
Lots going on tank wise over here the last couple of days but with high hopes and crossed fingers all will go well.

Lots of changes all at once. Hope all goes well. This isn’t your first rodeo, so it will be fine.

If you want circulation, these Gyres kick butt. I will be interested as to their life span.

I had a flame for almost 15 years, when he died I replaced him with a smaller one. The reef inhabitants killed him in 48 hours. So that sent me a message.

It’s like long nose hawk fish. I absolutely love them, but I’ve had three jail break my aquarium to die on the floor even though I keep a mesh top on. I get it, no more hawk fish for me.

Last edited:
Lots of changes all at once. Hope all goes well. This isn’t your first rodeo, so it will be fine.

If you want circulation, these Gyres kick butt. I will be interested as to their life span.

I had a flame for almost 15 years, when he died I replaced him with a smaller one. The reef inhabitants killed him in 48 hours. So that sent me a message.

It’s like long nose hawk fish. I absolutely love them, but I’ve had three jail break my aquarium to die on the floor even though I keep a mesh top on. I get it, no more hawk fish for me.
re. the flame angel, that's so weird! you'd think in a setup as big as yours that one small fish would go basically unnoticed,...BUT,.who knows what social pecking order goes on in their underwater world.
re.the hawkfish and jumpers. i think we all have lost a fish or two to jumping, that's kinda weird too, you just wonder how many fish you've actually prevented from finding on the floor by using egg crate or a mesh top ?

I do have a mesh top. The hawk fish could jump thru a 1/4” opening. So I got a larger hawk fish. It waited until one of the tops was off by a 1/2” and jumped.

It’s been 24 hours since the introduction of the little squirrel fish and the mini hippo,.... I was worried about the mini hippo because I hadn’t seen him since I been home from work but low and behold out he comes from the rocks swimming around with the big guys ,... he is sooo tiny ! It’s literally an inch long ,... the squirrel fish has been eating well and the new flame angel has been grazing along the rocks like a happy camper .... there is zero aggression now so ol’ Dary has breathed a sigh of relief

Glad to hear the hippo showed up I to purchased one from a local fish store about a inch long I actually got her for 10.00 due to the fact she was covered in ick and very sickly I figured 10.00 was worth a shot to try and save her .I used the tank transfer method I've used for years with 3 10 gallon qt tanks to my surprise she made it and has been a very big joy to my reef for two years now .. Hope yours gives you many years of enjoyment also ..IMAG1582.jpg

It’s been awhile since I’ve posted because the tank underwent a bad set of affairs,..... first off ,it all started with the introduction of the coral Beauty ,..a day or so after its introduction it was covered in ick which as you all know sucks ! .... there was absolutely no way I was ever going to be able to remove him from the system due to the massive amount of rocks and caves in the aquarium ,....well., without going into too much fanfare it invested the other residents in the tank .
I treated the aquarium with a organic treatment recommended by the staff at the lfs , not too much to lose at this point .
I lost my powder blue which really pissed me off because I’ve worked so hard to keep one going .the foxface and scopace tang looked pretty hopeless for awhile but pulled thru and are back to normal again ,my new squirrel fish never was invested and seems happy.
The organic treatment caused the protein skimmer to go nuts of course and it took a few weeks of water changes to finally get it to the point of being able to fire it up again. Needless to say,a few weeks of no protein skimmer ,ick and just a lack of normal maintenance took a little wind out of my sails.
To pass the time I dedicated a lot more time to flying my drones ,( another really expensive hobby !!! ) I find that it really helped me get thru trying not to do too much to the tank while things ran its course .
All in all , everything is getting back to normal again , a large outbreak of aptasia awaits me , kinda like putting out a fire with a wet sponge ., but I’ll get thru this too.

So sorry to hear this. Glad it’s being reeled back in. Anything can tip the balance as you know.
Glad your doing well with the drones. I’m flying mine more now that it’s warming up.

So sorry to hear this. Glad it’s being reeled back in. Anything can tip the balance as you know.
Glad your doing well with the drones. I’m flying mine more now that it’s warming up.

Got the goggles and absolutely love’em ,....inspire 1 v2 coming in today !! ..... tankwise , I think everything will be ok ,.... in another month or so I’ll try mr blue again !

Bought the little adapter and flew it around via the goggles today ,.. gnarly !!! .... what model of inspire do you have ?
This hobby like the aquarium hobby is rather pricey huh ?

I have a two year old i1 V2. With the X5 camera. I use my X3 camera on a Osmo. I use my Mavics (Air and Pro) most of the time as the i1 attracts a lot of attention. Love the goggles. Got my Part 107 so I do some public safety jobs now and then. Stay safe and legal. Join the AMA for the liability insurance and follow their rules. Enjoy. Fish still cost more.

Back
Top Bottom