Dead mystery snails

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Rce4px

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
So I have an established 10 gallon tank, somewhat planted that houses my betta, 1 ghost shrimp, 1 otto, and two mysteries. The tank has been running about 5 months. My water parameters are 0,0,7.5. I had one black mystery snail in there for about 4 months until about 2 weeks ago. He started moving less over 2 or 3 days, then died. About a week ago, I replaced it with two gold mysteries. Two days ago, I noticed the same thing with both--they kind of lay on their side half way hanging out and have done so since. My first thought was copper. However, I know that affects shrimp too and my ghost has been very active since I got him 5 months ago. Anybody have any clue what it could be? I do have a copper test kit ordered, but until then, I was wondering of anyone has had similar experiences?

Could the betta be harassing them? My betta use to nip at my snails antennas which can cause them too close up.

No, my betta pays no attention to them. They stay open, not closed.

Is there enough natural food in the tank for them? Are you feeding them specifically, Zuchinni, cucumber, or some discs of some sort?

Are you using tap water? Snails seem to do better with normal dechlorinated tap water than something like RO. I'm just asking to rule it out.

foster53 said:
Is there enough natural food in the tank for them? Are you feeding them specifically, Zuchinni, cucumber, or some discs of some sort?

I have been feeding algae wafers and zucchini. They seem to prefer the wafers though.

I actually have a question for you since I have a mystery snail and he seems to be moving a bit less

How exactly can you tell when he's dead or not? I know my snail is alive right now but lately he just goes completely in his shell and his trap door or whatever is the only thing visible. He used to be moving a lot more and eating algae a lot

They smell really bad lol and when you touch them (their foot) they don't pull back into their shell. Trust me when they smell its bad, made my eyes water!

CorallineAlgae said:
Are you using tap water? Snails seem to do better with normal dechlorinated tap water than something like RO. I'm just asking to rule it out.

I'm using conditioned tap water.

Bobjoefredsky said:
I actually have a question for you since I have a mystery snail and he seems to be moving a bit less

How exactly can you tell when he's dead or not? I know my snail is alive right now but lately he just goes completely in his shell and his trap door or whatever is the only thing visible. He used to be moving a lot more and eating algae a lot

As long as their door is shut, they are alive. My last one actually fell out of its shell when I picked it up. And yes, they smell god awful when they die.

You've been using tap water with conditioner, feeding them wafers and fresh food, doing water changes... You're doing everything right. It's a mystery snail mystery. You may want to try running some carbon if you aren't already. This is a hard problem to nail down.

What is the average lifetime of a mystery snail? Btw this question is for anyone

I have a dead one also. Due to getting half way sucked into the filter tube twice. U think he had learned to stay away from it. But my question is can I leave it in the tank? My black moor seems to be trying to eat it. Is this ok? Sorry I can't help with the orginal question! And I've had mine about 5 months also.

Back
Top Bottom