Dead Yabbies

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

xxRho

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Okay so I have no idea what went wrong. I had 5 juvenile 'Cherax destructor' in a holding tank.They were so happy/active last night before I went to bed. However I went to go feed them this morning because they were at the edge like they are when they wanted food but none of them even moved when I offered 2 different foods. I thought that was weird so I put an extra air stone in thinking it might perk them up (their tank was a bit warm so I thought they might be lacking O2). I then left them alone for a bit then came back & they still hadn't moved so I picked each one of them up & they still didn't move so I took them out of the water & they still didn't move.

I did a water change last night so I don't think it was NH4+/NH3. It's like they just stopped moving… I put them in a little container in my fridge just in case I might be able to feed them to my axolotl (though that wasn't why I bought them) or on the ridiculously improbability that they are alive & will recover, but I don't think they are alive (;__;) they were so cute, blue, spunky & healthy looking so I don't know what happened :(

They where no more than 2.5cm.

Any theories? Or suggestions on what to do with their old holding tank?

I think it might have been heat because I'm on the top floor (it's still warm down under) but I can't be sure because it happened overnight…

Their tank was really basic because they weren't going to be in it very long. It had a few hiding spots, bare bottom and a piece of cuttle-bone I added (after boiling it!). They had been in it barely 50hrs…

Sorry if I'm rambling, I'm just upset with myself for letting such a thing happen to them…

Back
Top Bottom