Decisions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Penguin

Aquarium Advice Freak
so we recently gave away our common pleco and we lost 2 of our 3 tiger barbs, our red tail black shark, albino rainbow shark, 2 ghost shrimp, and our 4 corydoras (in 2 months), and now all we have is a neon blue dwarf gourami, 3 zebra danios, a mystery snail, assassin snail, clown pleco, 1 tiger barb, 1 ghost shrimp, 2 neon tetras (1 jumbo and one small), and one ADF. So here's the question we are looking for a nice bottom dweller for our tank and we are stuck between an upside down catfish and a striped raphael since our tank has sand and it has 1 lava rock, one texas holy rock, half of a drift wood log with some plants, a ship, and 2 amazon sword. Would either of those fish be a good bottom dweller in a 10 gallon tank and would we need to rehome them anytime soon since we are still saving up for a 36g tank?

so we recently gave away our common pleco and we lost 2 of our 3 tiger barbs, our red tail black shark, albino rainbow shark, 2 ghost shrimp, and our 4 corydoras (in 2 months), and now all we have is a neon blue dwarf gourami, 3 zebra danios, a mystery snail, assassin snail, clown pleco, 1 tiger barb, 1 ghost shrimp, 2 neon tetras (1 jumbo and one small), and one ADF. So here's the question we are looking for a nice bottom dweller for our tank and we are stuck between an upside down catfish and a striped raphael since our tank has sand and it has 1 lava rock, one texas holy rock, half of a drift wood log with some plants, a ship, and 2 amazon sword. Would either of those fish be a good bottom dweller in a 10 gallon tank and would we need to rehome them anytime soon since we are still saving up for a 36g tank?

Wait, you had all those at once in a 10 gallon? At this point I would just wait until you get the 36g, cycle it properly. In the meantime, research compatible community fish and their space requirements... you might have gotten ahead of yourself. If you are wasting money on fish that are dying, you might as well stop now and save it for the new tank (and associated equipment) and read up on this site and others online.

I wouldn't recommend anything for the tank you have. I'd concentrate on better numbers and stocking matches. If you had all those together in that tiny tank, there's no wonder why you had losses. The two choices you're thinking are far from good ideas. A little more online research before anymore new additions would be the best I can offer.

Sent from my iPhone that doesn't like me. Or you !!

First you should probably identify why you lost all those fish, because you don't want to lose more as soon as you get them. If I read it correctly, all of the fish were in a 10g, and that seems very overstocked. Also, before you get any new species, you might want to restock some of the more social ones. From my experience, zebra danios do not do well in schools of less than five. I'm very sorry if this sounds too negative, so I will at least say that I have read Cory cats can do okay in a 10g. I think the minimum size for both upside down and Raphael catfish is 30g. I hope this helps.

Wait, you had all those at once in a 10 gallon? At this point I would just wait until you get the 36g, cycle it properly. In the meantime, research compatible community fish and their space requirements... you might have gotten ahead of yourself. If you are wasting money on fish that are dying, you might as well stop now and save it for the new tank (and associated equipment) and read up on this site and others online.

we didn't have all of those together at one time we separated the out in time first it was the red tail shark and the albino rainbow with 3 tiger barbs and the common pleco then we got rid of the pleco because i read that the pleco can grow upwards of 12 inches then the 2 sharks died then we kept the 3 tiger barbs in the tank alone for 2 weeks then we got the mystery snail and 3 ghost shrimp and and the assassin snail. So the 2 snails and the 3 shrimp and the barbs were one of our longest fish then they died because when we were doing the WC I accidentally knocked over the water conditioner and it all flowed into the tank we were able to save the 2 snails and 1 shrimp and 1 tiger barb. Then for my birthday (1 month after clean up and cycled again) her god father got us the neon blue dwarf gourami, 5 neon tetras (3 died because they were sold to him while they were sick but he didn't know), 3 zebra danios, 1 clown pleco, and the other fish that were listed. The gourami, danios, barb, tetras, pleco, shrimp and snails, and frog are currently our oldest fish approx. 3 months old. We haven't purchased other fish since then i was just wondering about the upside down catfish and striped raphael because our LFS is going out of business and the closest petco seems to never order those 2 fish. Nor do we have credit cards or a car to drive a little further to find another LFS and our parents will not order the fish for us due to such high shipping fees.

Google will be your best friend right now. Hold off on any new additions and get the tank settled first.

Sent from my iPhone that doesn't like me. Or you !!

I still recommend holding off and learn about proper fish compatability and aquarium size requirement. Causes for death aside, the issue remains that you have incompatible fish, wrong number of certain species, etc. Do your research, decide on what you want, and save up money for the bigger tank in the meantime. Patience is a big part of this hobby. I don't think you're going to get the advice it seems you want to hear.

Back
Top Bottom