Decorating my tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Priest

Aquarium Advice Regular
Okay so my tank has been pretty empty and looking at it I have decided to decorate it. The tank has 5 artificial plants and a tiny ornament that I just threw in there just to be a bit less empty. I would like you people's opinion on a nice large ornament that can fit inside my 30 gallon because I have been looking at this ornament but maybe they are better looking ones.

Top Fin® Stone Coral with Coral and Plants - Fish - Sale - PetSmart

I am only looking to spend about 60 dollars on the ornament and something that looks natural (No bridge ornaments or anything like that) and that has openings so at least the fish can pass through. Thank you.

Edit: Yeah I forgot to mention that the reason I am getting a large ornament is because I am not artistic in tank decorating so I am not oppose to getting three or four ornaments as long as its done nice.

I think it's ugly. May work in a saltwater set up with sand as a cheap alternative to corals.

I didn't go into details about my tank, it is a fresh water tank with Mollies, Plattys, guppies and corys.

I'd say get driftwood or fake wood/rock ornaments. I personally like the natural affect more than a fake look. Guppies and platys love plants near the surface of the water and will likely breed with them. I'm sure mollies do too.

I agree.. Don't bother with that ornament. Get yourself some DW, rocks and some low light plants to start with and just experiment with aqua scalping.

I've been looking into making a slate rock cave. I know you could make one for pretty cheap. Plus you don't need to be artistic that you could just copy someone else's design. I'd recommend you Google it or look at the DIY forum on here :)

My last freshwater tank had rainbow sandstone rock work in it. I know it wasn't too expensive bc I'm usually a cheapo. I can't remember where I got it, it was online though I'd just google it. But it comes in a box from 25 to 50 lbs if I remember correctly. I ended up using "rock glue" if I did it again I think I'd just stack it to make the cave. But it did look good, it won't screw with water parameters, and the fish loved it.

I had the log and was fine with it, but after a few months, that and other ornaments were replaced with natural DW and rocks.

So after looking at different ornaments for hours, I saw someone else tank and they had this ornament which looked good on their tank so I think I will get that.

Top Fin® Large Hollowed Out Driftwood - Decorations - Fish - PetSmart

Also I plan to replace the plants that I have now because they look too fake and not natural at all.

Top Fin® Plastic Plant Variety Pack - Blue, Purple, Yellow - Fish - Sale - PetSmart
Top Fin® Plastic Plant Variety Pack - Orange, Green, Red - Fish - Sale - PetSmart

I think I will replace them with some more natural looking plants like these:
Marineland® B-Size Multi-Pack - Decorations - Fish - PetSmart

Let me know what you think about the ornament and the plant change.

I like that driftwood piece. In the end it you, that has to live with it. Make it your style. Then let us see how it turns out. :)

Back
Top Bottom