decorations

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

nibor

Aquarium Advice Regular
What kind of found decorations can you place in your tanks?

I am trying to decorate my new 55 gal (still looking for something for the 29 gal, too) and the stuff at the stores is so expensive and don't fill space like I want. I would like a nice center piece that reaches through most of the water collum. Everything I find *might* reach halfway.

I also would like something that has 'holes' for the fish to swim in/out/ through. I like decorations that look natural.

any suggestions?

What would I need to do to them before I put them in the tank? Anykind of wood/ rock to NOT put in there?

nibor said:
What would I need to do to them before I put them in the tank? Anykind of wood/ rock to NOT put in there?

Avoid rotting or green wood and wood with lots of sap like evergreens. Hard wood is better than softer woods because it lasts longer. You can bake it in the sun or put it through the dishwater (no soap!) to kill anything nasty on it. Soak in hot water or boil it to leech tannins and water log it. You will have to weigh it down to help this.

It's a good idea to soak rocks in a bucket of water and test the pH daily to see if it changes. If it does, don't use the rock. Don't boil rocks. If they have an air bubble in them they could explode if heated. A good scrub with hot water is enough to clean them.

Back
Top Bottom