Desperate newbee

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
We have the liquid API master kit.
Thanks for your suggestions, I tried 1week ago the tetrastart,
Where do you buy the Nite out or the Special Blend?
We live in South California.
:-D:-D:-D
Thank again ximena

I Live in So. Cali too, pasadena to be exact. I got mine at petco.

Another question

After the 3 weeks, the water, ornaments, stones, etc look really clean, but the plastic tubes from the air pump to the bubbles stones developed a green crust, like flakes that look like mold, hopefully this is good??????
If we move the plastic tubes, these crust separate easily from the pipe, and start to float around the tank, later on the filter takes care of them.
What I'm trying to ask is if these "green, moldy, crusts" are normal? Good? Or bad?

Thanks to all of you for your answers

Thanks !Ximena for the Petco tip also.

Keep you all posted with my progress

Finally!!!!!

I added three days ago the special blend from Petco, and some night out II! Also from Petco.
And I think that I'm almost there, I added ammonia 24 hours ago to reach 4 ppm, I just check it again and I read 0 ammonia, 0 nitrites, and aprox 20 nitrates.!!!!!
I will add more ammonia today to put it back to 5 ppm, and read again tomorrow, if my ammonia drops again to 0, is this means that my tank is ready for the fish????

Thanks to all!!!

Sounds like progress has been made! :) Your hard work is paying off.

I do think products like Tetra safestart and Microbe-Lift's Special Blend can help if you follow directions and dose them correctly. I used Safestart when cycling my tank after test results consistantly showed Ammonia and Nitrite readings and had 0 NitrItes within 12 hours after use.

Final Questions!! Finally fully cycled

Looks like we are fully cycled, for 2 consecutive days I added ammonia to reach 4 ppm, and after 24 hours the readings are:
ammonia 0 ppm
Nitrites 0 ppm
Nitrates 40 ppm
Ph 7.2

If I understand correctly now I need to to a PWC, what do you think 50%?
and finally get my fish correct?
Another question: during this 4 weeks of working on the cycle, the tank developed algae in the air pipes, look like green flakes, do I keep it like that? or do I need to add a anti-algae chemical?

I really appreciate all your answers and advice during the process, I will post a picture once I get my fish in the tank!

Looks good to me. I'd do a PWC to get those nitrates down to 20ppm or less and get some fish.

Don't nuke the algae. It's better to leave it alone than it is to pour a bunch of chemicals into the tank. If the algae bothers you, try controlling it by limiting your light and, maybe, add a fast-growing low-light stem plant like anacharis.

Ok understood

Looks good to me. I'd do a PWC to get those nitrates down to 20ppm or less and get some fish.

Don't nuke the algae. It's better to leave it alone than it is to pour a bunch of chemicals into the tank. If the algae bothers you, try controlling it by limiting your light and, maybe, add a fast-growing low-light stem plant like anacharis.

Ok, really doesn't bother me at all, I was more concern thinking that could cause a desease, but looks like algae is not that bad. I will leave it alone and maybe try the stem later on. Thanks Jim

Also I will try to get 5 fish to start up, I have been checking compatibility charts, and we will go from there.

Kep you posted ...:)

Algae is just a fact of life in an aquarium. It can be unsightly, but I've never heard of it causing a disease.

What kind of fish are you thinking about getting?

I was thinking a community fish. Some tetras, and some peaceful rainbows, I like the iranian rainbows, also a cory to help to clean the bottom.
What do you think about a Angel fish and a Plecto?

Bigjim, I don't want to bother you, but I still have questions:
For the PWC I will treat the water with Prime, which requires less amount per gallon compared with other brands, and a lot of people recommend it. My concern is that if is enough ( following the label directions) to eliminate the chlorine from the water? Now that I finally cycle my tank, I don't want to kill the bacterias with the PWC, what do you think?

I was thinking a community fish. Some tetras, and some peaceful rainbows, I like the iranian rainbows, also a cory to help to clean the bottom.
What do you think about a Angel fish and a Plecto?

Iranian rainbows get a bit big for your tank. Maybe you'd consider some smaller rainbows instead. Tetras are good. You better make that cories if you're interested in them. They're schooling fish that do best in groups of six or more. Cories will stress out if kept alone.

Bigjim, I don't want to bother you, but I still have questions:
For the PWC I will treat the water with Prime, which requires less amount per gallon compared with other brands, and a lot of people recommend it. My concern is that if is enough ( following the label directions) to eliminate the chlorine from the water? Now that I finally cycle my tank, I don't want to kill the bacterias with the PWC, what do you think?

Ask away. I'm glad to answer questions.

I can't say I've tested my water for chlorine or chloramine, but I never see any kind of ammonia or nitrite spike after a PWC. If the dechlorinator (I've used Prime and Tetra Aquasafe at different times) wasn't working, I would expect to see parameter spikes. Some people dose Prime for the entire tank, rather than just the volume removed by PWC. I aim to treat the volume of water I'm replacing, erring on the generous side, simply because I'm cheap.

+1 to BigJim, when I do a partial water change I treat the entire volume of the tank, because:

1. It's not possible to overdose Prime unless you spill a ton in.

2. I use a Python, so it's not possible to treat the water before it makes it to my tank.

3. If there is a slight spike after the PWC, the extra Prime will prevent it from being dangerous.

Thanks guys....Well today is the day to add the fish... I will keep in mind your advaice.
And promise to attach a picture this afternoon.

What did you end up choosing?

Tetra are great, I love mine. (They are schooling fish, so keep that in mind.) Plecos come in all different sizes so be careful. The common pleco can get quite large (20"+).

Fish

I got one Angel fish, 4 rasbora tetras, 1 clown loach, 1 small catch fish, and 1 small red fin shark albino.

I heard that the loach can get ich or ick really easy? Do you guys hear about this also?

I will let them adapt for a week before I add something else, my son wants 2 gouramies, we really wants call bounsemai gouramies or something like that.

I still own you the pictures guys/ gals

Hi hi sorry to hear of your distress try adding some live bacteria they will help bring ammonia down and your ph will start to change to ...Hope this helps

Ps welcome to the form they great on here they help where ever they can ....Good luck with your tank and keep us up dated...;)

Algae eaters

What do you know or hear about Siamese Algae Eaters? I read that they are great to keep the tank clean, but can be a little aggressive?

:confused: My clown loach looks sad, maybe is because I just got one? He is just trying to hide under a rock....
The Angel, the shark, the catfish, and the ronnynose tetras are just doing fine:Fade-color

Update:
My readings are great:
Ammonia 0 ppm
Nitrite 0 ppm
Nitrate 20 ppm
Ph. 7.6 (Maybe a little high?)

My fish are good, but I lost the clown loach, in the morning he was dead, looks like he did not adapted or was to much in shock after the move from the LPS. I don't know. The rest are great.
I will try to get the SAE, maybe 2 to try to keep the bottom clean and help the catfish.

Your PH is fine..mine's been higher before. Your Ammonia and Nitrite levels are much more important.

Experiencing a loss can happen when buying fish from an LPS. Just take your time when acclimating new fish to your tank. Once I get home from the pet store, I float the bag of fish in my aquarium for 20-30 minutes. I remove a small amount of water from the bag and then replace this water with the same amount of water from my tank. Then I again float the bag in my tank (I just bring down the hood opening on the open end of the bag to help keep the bag secure). Every 10-15 minutes I add a little more tank water to the bag. After 30 minutes or so, I net the fish out of the bag and place them into my tank.

Back
Top Bottom