Desperate newbee

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Possible, today the angel is much happier, but the damage to the top fin is evident.
Do I need to do something special? Or time will cure the fin?

Any ideas? Or Suggestions?

With such a small tank and an apparently aggressive gourami it is possible he has found someone else to pick on. Fin damage can be repaired over time ive heard of this happen but if this is a constant occurance of him being bullied unfortunately he wont survive very long. Most Angelfish are very active and not very shy, when you walk past them at the LFS they all come to the side to have a look (Mainly because they think its feeding time) Hopefully your situation improves if not i suggest taking the gourami back odds are hes bullying. I would research your fish abit more before adding them rather than after many people lose fish this way. But your levels seem great so keep up with the good work =)

The fin can heal with clean water. My bettas mess up their tails all the time, and I just make sure to keep the water clean, and they heal up. The new growth is clear, and will eventually turn the color of the fish.
I would also say it's the gourami being the bully. I had some of them, and they are quite the brats. :(

Gourami

I moved the gourami to a small 10 ga tank that I cycled to be use as a quaretine tank.
The angel is more active now, even the albino shark also.
I will keep you posted.
Thanks for advice again.

Angel

You were totally right, the bully was the Gourami, the Angel now is not shy at all, he hang out most of the time in the middle of the tank, begging for food!!
He is happy and his top fin is getting better.
The Gourami is in a 10g tank with 9 neon tetras, and 2 julli corys. The tetras look fine so far. And the gourami is super active.

The main tank is 26 gallons, Do you think that I have my tank overcrowded?
1 Angel, small size.
7 rummy nose tetras.
6 Gold clouds, or something like that, are really small school fish.
3 Julli Corys
2 Siamese algae eater.

What do you guys think?

I am no good at stocking, so I can't help you there!

I am so glad to hear you found out what the problem was, or should I say "who." Happy that the angel is doing much better!

Julio corys question

Question:
one of our Jullii corys has a red color in the gills, it did not have it this morning. The cory looks fine and active, just goes more often to the top of the tank compared with the other corys.
Any idea on what could be?

I do remember that last time that I had the fish tank, I saw a similar problem with another Cory, and two days later the Cory died.

Any suggestion?

Water parameters are good 0 Ammonia, 0 Nitrites, 10 Nitrates,
7.4 pH, and 80 degrees temperature.

A fish's gills are normally red. If they're red and inflamed, it's a sign of ammonia poisoning. If the affected cory goes to the top more than the others, his gills may not be functioning well. Are you sure your water parameters are inline?

Water Parameters

The water is fine, I used a API liquid (Master kit), I read yellow in Ammonia which is 0 (maybe is not exactly the same yellow versus the card, but is not "yellow-green" as the 0.25), Nitrites is blue, 0 ppm, and the Nitrates are between 5 to 10.

The cory looks like red in the cheeks, the other corys don't have this red color in the same area.

I can not take a picture because is always moving.

My older cory has some reddish behind her gill plates, and around her belly, but the smaller, new ones don't. She also darts to the surface quite a bit, but usually at night. My water readings are perfect too, I think that's just the way she is, she is 8 years old.
Might possibly be gill flukes?

Gill flukes

I hope is not gill flukes.
The cory is the bigger one for sure. This morning he is doing fine, still red but is active and constantly exploring the bottom of the tank as the other corys do.

I will wait to see his reaction before I do any thing, all fish are good with no visible signs of anything!

Update and Question

The Corys are doing fine, all fish are healthy, water parameters are good.
I set up a quaretine tank already, is a 10G, I have there 7 Corys and 7 Serpa tetras.
My plan is to move 4 corys to the big tank (I already have 3 there), and keep 4 in the 10G with the tetras.

My question is related to driftwood. If i would like to add a pice of driftwood to any of the tanks, Do I need to keep it in water for a week before I can put it in the tank? I read about boiling the wood before can be added? I also read about leach? but I don't know what is up ro down here.

Alot of people boil the wood, and soak it. I don't know how long, someone else will have to answer that.

You should have no more than 3 corys, alone, in a 10G tank. I have 3 of them in the 10 temporarily, that's 100% maxed, and it gets VERY dirty.

Thanks

Ok Darby.

It is true that the 10G requires a lot more maintenance(PWC) so less fish is a better beat for me in the long term.

Another question

Have you ever experienced a low reading in Nitrates? I mean my tank and fish are good, my ammonia and nitrites are 0 ppm, my nitrates normally were around 20 ppm, then I do weekly PWC (Around 25 to 30 %), but recently my Nitrates have been reading 0 ppm??
I don't have live plants, just ornaments and driftwood and stones. So I don't understand the reason of the low nitrates
Do you?:sad:

My nitrates stay at 5ppm. Are you sure you are following the test EXACTLY? It makes a difference if you don't shake the first part, and then put the second drops in, and shake for a minute.

Back
Top Bottom