Desperately need advice - very sick pleco

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

oceanbreezes

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I have been trying to treat a sick pleco -- we have had him for 11 years. He is in a 10 gal tank alone ~ had a betta in with him for a little bit but took it out when the pleco got sick. He has never been sick before this round. I'm hoping someone can help. Here's the story ~ pleco got ich -- i raised the temp and treated with ick attack for about 7 days ~ all seemed good (he started to eat again :) -- then 3 days and these white spots started to appear. I did some online research and figured out this was fungus - a secondary infection which is common after ick. I treated with Jungle fungus tabs -- no effect. (now I've been doing 25 - 50% water changes weekly ~ except during the ick treatment period) -- did the 50%water change before the ick attack and then not again until after treatment. Anyway, I did more research - tried the local aquarium store (that told me to change the water and do nothing else). I did another 50% water change ~ pleco looking worse. So now I'm desperate to save him -- I do a complete water change ~ completely wash out the tank, rocks, new filter bits, etc (the water is looking horrible and I'm guessing the bottom filter is a mess at this point regardless of my cleanings). And I treat with Maroxy. continue treating with Maroxy for the last 4 days - it says don't treat more than 5 days. Pleco is more covered - fins are getting pale ~ some of the fungus growths are turning brown ~ I know he's dying and I'm out of ideas, etc. On a side note ~ I've been battling the PH in both my tanks for some time now -- continually having to up the PH. The other tank is clean, fish are doing well -- have a pleco, neon tetra's and skirts in there with a small cat -- it's 20 gal.
I would appreciate any advice you can share -- this fish was won by my daughter when she was in the 2nd grade & the teacher disbursed the class fish at the end of the year.

I am so sorry for your loss. For future reference it is never a good idea to completely clean a tank, substrate and filter. It destroys beneficial bacteria.

Pleco's can be sensitive to ich medicines. That may have been the cause of the initial fungal infection.

Bummer man. :(

I totally agree with Zagz.

suggestions

thank you Zagz & HN1 for the response/info -- I understand on the full change but I was desperate -- the water was in such bad shape regardless of all my wc and it was smelling horrible. I have another pleco in another tank and would love some advice on what I should have done when the pleco got ich to prevent the secondary fungus. I used Ich Attack and raised the temp to 83... that seemed to work well. Maybe I should have done something differently right after the ich seemed to be cleared up and he started eating again? any suggestions would be appreciated so I learn from this~

Back
Top Bottom