Diary of the 75G planted tank.... New pics 6/26/06

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
GlitcH said:
looking good!
Really nice wolf..........how ya like the camera so far?
Takes a nice pic.
Hey what kinda fish are those with the red on the head?
I want some!

Rummy Nose Tetras

You know, your stock looks suspiciously like mine LWB. Very nice job and keep up the good work. In regard to the Bolivians, the male is bigger when compared to similar ages. I also seem to have 4 male GBR's, which is ok since I believe I have at least one female Bolivian who has already been claimed.

Here's a few more pics......

75g65.jpg

75g66.jpg

75g67.jpg

75g68.jpg

This is the Bolivian I think is female. The smallest one.
Also, the white spots are something forming on the glass, so hard to scrub off.

75g69.jpg

75g70.jpg

75g71.jpg

imo I think the tank is too green for my likes, some colorful plants I think would do the job.

Tank looks great. You've done a great job. I log on sometimes just to follow this thread! My Ludwigia repens all died off. It's the first plant I have tried that didn't make it in my tank. I had 12 healthy stems. I have one left that is barely hanging on. The ones you have left look like there going to make it as they are dropping roots, as is my one surviver.

kaz said:
what is your opinion on this type of pool sand?
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/viewtopic.php?t=74356

Look at the 2nd link. Says it's DIATOMACEOUS EARTH. You do not want to use it. It's very sharp particles and can cut and scratch. I've heard other people say ants can't even survive in it because it cuts them up. Don't get it. JMO

Glenc said:
Tank looks great. You've done a great job. I log on sometimes just to follow this thread! My Ludwigia repens all died off. It's the first plant I have tried that didn't make it in my tank. I had 12 healthy stems. I have one left that is barely hanging on. The ones you have left look like there going to make it as they are dropping roots, as is my one surviver.

Actually, my first batch didn't make it too well. I pulled them all, and took some stems from the ones I put in my 26G in the 75G. I think they are doing better in the 26G because they have no algae.

Lonewolfblue said:
kaz said:

Look at the 2nd link. Says it's DIATOMACEOUS EARTH. You do not want to use it. It's very sharp particles and can cut and scratch. I've heard other people say ants can't even survive in it because it cuts them up. Don't get it. JMO

that diatomaceous earth is another product! if you look again youll see it is not the same one.

kaz said:
Lonewolfblue said:
kaz said:

that diatomaceous earth is another product! if you look again youll see it is not the same one.

My bust. You're correct......
I've never used that pool filter sand. It should be ok, as long as it's just pool filter sand. If the particles are finer than pfs, then it may compact on you and you'll have problems with anaerobic pockets developing.

Great looking tank (and nice photos of it too :) ). I love the color you've got on your sword. Is that an E. x barthii?

I noticed that it looks like you've got moss or algae growing on your wood. If it's algae, is growing anywhere else? When I get algae growing on the rocks and wood in my tank it usually ends up on the plants sooner or later.

I'm not exactly which sword it is, as it was just listed as Amazon Swords in the South American package. As for the algae, yes, it's everywhere. I think I'm finally getting the upper hand though.

The package I got was the one here under the 50-60G habitat, plus I added a few others.

http://www.azgardens.com/habitats_south.php

Here's a link to APC's Plantfinder listing for E. x barthii (aka Red Melon Sword). I used to have one but it did not do well in my carbonate buffered substrate. Yours is looking much better than mine ever did :)

Never guess what happened here. Yesterday, the fiber in out area went down, so I had no internet and no phone lines. Then they got it all up and going today. But in doing so, they must have done something on their end to take out my router. I tried everything, but my router wouldn't do anything. Couldn't access it with any computers here. Then I called their evening tech support. They told me they couldn't do anything and that I had to wait til morning for the real techs to get there. The night shift is just for bare minimum support and to hold the lines down. Whatever that means, lol. Also, they can't do anything to replace my router either. Said I just had to go out and get a new one. So I did. I was lucky I save the current config for the router, as if I didn't, they said I'd have to wait til morning to get the internet login from them. The night shift doesn't have that info. So I loaded the config file into the new router and I'm back online. It's just a newer version of the same router I had before, so it let me use the same config.

Before all this happened, when I got off work tonight, I stopped at the lfs here to see if they had my roseline sharks. They didn't. She said that she was too late for this shipment, and that they would come in on the shipment on the 30th. Cool. I told here I wasn't in any rush, and just whenever they got there, I'd pick them up. But while I was there, they had 2 other fish I really wanted, lol. Here's the pics of the 2 new fishies in town. Still too small to tell whether they are male or female. :)

75g72.jpg

75g73.jpg

very nice young bristles!!!! gorgeous tank.. I agree it is quite the green tank.. I wonder why? My reds tend toward green a little too easilly too.. I"m trying EI !!

sherry said:
very nice young bristles!!!! gorgeous tank.. I agree it is quite the green tank.. I wonder why? My reds tend toward green a little too easilly too.. I"m trying EI !!

I've tried different levels of lighting, from 260W to 520W, and 6400k, 12000k, and actinics, and still turns green on me. Same is happening in my 26G with the repens I put in there. Turning green. And using Excel in that tank. Even tried upping Iron a little, no effect.

Ludwiga never was much red for me unless it was right near the light. but it grew better for me in my low light eclipse with excel than in my 96 wtt 35 gallon
with co2
go figure.

Are there any other red plants that hold their red better? Or are easier to keep red? It can be any lighting, and of course, I've got CO2 injection, so the sky is the limit, lol.

Good looking tank! I finally gave up on my planted tank today :( every time I'd get the upper hand on one type of algea I'd get another type of bloom.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't red from iron? In other words, wouldn't an iron deficiency make the plants turn all green?

Back
Top Bottom