Diary of the 75G planted tank.... New pics 6/26/06

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Well, I just noticed my bulb source let me down, lol. kidding. I bought a pack of 6400k bulbs, and got them in. They are also stamped 6400k. But when I turn them on, they look like the 12000k bulbs, and not my other 6400k bulbs. Can they actually be 6400k bulbs, or is it more likely they are 12000k bulbs? I believe they are probably 12000k bulbs, and just mis-marked at the factory. Anyways, I can still use them. I got another shipment of 6400k's coming in, so if they turn out fine, will switch the 6400k's that look like 12000k's for the actual 6400k's.

I just went on Ebay and bought myself a brand new camera.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=7595461575&rd=1&sspagename=STRK:MEWN:IT&rd=1

Can't wait to get it in. Then I can put up some really nice pics too. The camera will be great for traveling as well. With the 6GB microdrive, it will hold over 3000 pictures in compressed mode. When I do get it, I will definitely put up some of the pearling pictures. :)

Another thing happened tonight. The pearling is so much, that occasionally my XP3 will burp, lol. There is so much O2 in the water, it's almost at a boil, lol. And the XP3 is putting out O2 like mad, lol.

hi again....

nitrous said:
well ya, you do have a pressurized co2 tank lol

Absolutely, lol.....

Tomorrow will be doing some work in the tank. There's one plant I need to move, and that's one of the Red Foxtails, the one on the left. In the current from the XP3, it's always leaning sideways. I will move it over to the right with the other one so it can grow straight up. The one on the right now is touching the surface. I'm also noticing the microswords aren't doing so hot, but the dwarf hairgrass is beginning to spread. Looks like I might be using the dwarf hairgrass for the lawn. Seems to be doing rather well.

Lonewolfblue said:
I just went on Ebay and bought myself a brand new camera.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=7595461575&rd=1&sspagename=STRK:MEWN:IT&rd=1

Can't wait to get it in. Then I can put up some really nice pics too. The camera will be great for traveling as well. With the 6GB microdrive, it will hold over 3000 pictures in compressed mode. When I do get it, I will definitely put up some of the pearling pictures. :)

Another thing happened tonight. The pearling is so much, that occasionally my XP3 will burp, lol. There is so much O2 in the water, it's almost at a boil, lol. And the XP3 is putting out O2 like mad, lol.

I just paid for the camera. Will be shipped on Wed. Totally cool, will get some awsome pics for you all.....

That looks like an amazing camera 8O Digital SLR is the way to go. I'm not sure what kind of macro mode it will have out of the box, but I'll bet it blows away my Sony DSC-P90. And even if it isn't as good as you'd like, with an SLR you can always just get a great macro lens. Can't wait to see the pics :)

travis simonson said:
That looks like an amazing camera 8O Digital SLR is the way to go. I'm not sure what kind of macro mode it will have out of the box, but I'll bet it blows away my Sony DSC-P90. And even if it isn't as good as you'd like, with an SLR you can always just get a great macro lens. Can't wait to see the pics :)

Both lenses supposedly have great macro. They say the 70-300mm lens using macro is just phenominal. Also, if I don't want to scare the fish, I just put on the 300mm lense from several feet away, and use manual focus to get great pics. That's why I got this camera, is for the manual focus, so it doesn't auto focus on the glass. I can't wait to get it. Also, for later on, looking at investing in the 500mm lens for it as well. I like taking pics in the outdoors, and that will give me great distance capabilities. Some like going out hunting with a rifle or shotgun. I like going out hunting with a camera. :)

Well, I'm starting my stocking today. I got a small pleco, 6 Panda Cories, 4 Julii Cories, and 7 Rummy Nose Tetras. Will give it a couple days, then will add some more rummies. I actually got 8, but when I got home, one was dead. Will get it replaced. My tank is so heavily planted, I can't find the rummies now. And see only some of the cories. The pleco was out for a bit, then disappeared, lol. Hope they like their new home. Tomorrow night I might move my Rams over also.

EDIT:
Well, I decided to move the Rams tonight. It was tough catching them, but with my new net, didn't stress them out too much. I just used my small net to heard them into the big net, lol. When I ordered it, I didn't think it would be as big as it is. When I put it in the 55G, it was almost as wide as the 55G, and almost as high, lol. Made things quite easy, once I took out most of the ornaments. The rams are now hiding in the 75G. They should be out and about in a day or 2. :)

EDIT:
The rummy nose tetras are now poking their heads out. They found a spot they like on the left side of the tank, where the water comes out of the spraybar, comes down the front glass, and then back towards the back of the tank. They are schooled up in the current, looks like they are enjoying life. :)

Well, got home today, and my tank isn't looking as good as it did. The ludwigia repens isn't looking too good. Also, had a burst of algae. Then I tested tonight, and my nitrates are very high, and phosphates are nil. So I got some work to do. When I added Flourish Nitrogen, I think I did too much. So I just brought my Phosphates up to about 2.5ppm. Going to do a 50% PWC tomorrow. The ludwigia is turning a brownish yellow, so does that mean Potassium deficiency? I upped the potassium tonight as well. I hadn't added any potassium til tonight. Hope this makes a difference.

Also, I changed my lighting. I'm running 260W regular CF's and 130W actinic (130W over the back, 130W over the front, and actinic in the middle). The 4th switch will just be a spare.

With that much light on your tank everything is in ultra fast forward mode. I don't know if you could dose enough ferts fast enough to keep your ferts in check at the rate your plants will use them. I would think it will always be to much or to little. It's going to be a tough balancing act. I wish you well, you got balls!

Glenc said:
With that much light on your tank everything is in ultra fast forward mode. I don't know if you could dose enough ferts fast enough to keep your ferts in check at the rate your plants will use them. I would think it will always be to much or to little. It's going to be a tough balancing act. I wish you well, you got balls!

I noticed that when I was at 520W. That's why I cut back to 260W plus actinics. Not that the actinics will do anything, but the GBR's do look great. And using the other switch as a spare only, if a light goes out, I can switch. :)

Once you've seen how that 520 looked, it's hard to cut back. Just not the same. What youre doing is a smart way to keep that ultra bright light. Sorry, I misread your last post! Good luck!

New update...

Everything is getting pretty dense, lol. Also havig a bit of a green algae problem on the glass and the plant leaves. Will try to figure this one out.

As for growth, I cut down the Red Fox Tails about half-way down, as they were on the surface. They had about 6 inches floating on the surface. also trimmed down the vals some when I did the PWC tonight. This weekend, going to pull all the Ludwigia repens and cut off the base, and plant the individual stems. Will use the best looking stems for replanting. also, going to have to cut back the hornwort in the 26G and 55G this weekend as well. Been ignoring it, and the stuff in the 26G takes half the tank, lol. Looks great though, and the cherry barbs and the dwarf gourami love it.

Green spot on the glass is usually from phosphate bottoming out. There was a thread on fleet enema's around that are great sources for phosphate. Also, don't be afraid to push the phosphate:nitrate ration as far as 1:7.5 if your plants are consuming 2ppm phosphate per day. Your fish produce nitrate all day long.. Co2 is added. Just keep up with Phosphate and Potassium and it should keep itself level.

Planted tanks "break in" is typically the owner getting used to fertalizing :)

Sounds like your having fun wolf.........can't wait for more pics!

Back
Top Bottom