Diary of the 75G planted tank.... New pics 6/26/06

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Congratulations on your Bolvian Fry! I have seen my GBRs spawn twice now but they always end up eating their eggs. I think that the 2 wild rams I had in the tank may have stressed the parents out a little too much, but they are gone now, shipped off to Texas, so hopefully the next spawn will get a little farther along.

Your tank looks fabulous, great link!

Actually, the other fish got to the fry. I accidently fed the fish too close to the fry, and the current from the filter pushed the food in where the fry was, and all the other fish swarmed in and ate everything. Parents never had a chance. It was 20 fish on 2. But looks like they are getting ready to do it again. Found a nice smooth surface which they cleaned off real well.

Wonderful tank, congrats on getting the spaw, sorry you lost it!

Guess what folks........

They are fiercely defending a pit dug under a plant again. :2gunfire:
Looks like I have eggs once again. :)

Well, let's hope. :)

I don't have the breeder tank yet and have a couple fish in QT (New fish). Looking to get another 20G shortly. But I may not have it in time for this go around. Will definitely have it by the next time. :) This time I'm not going to feed close to the fry. When I feed the other fish on the far end of the tank, I'll drop some pellets or an algae wafer, or shrimp pellets near the parents just for them, but the others will get flake food far from the fry, if it gets that far this time.

Edit:

Well, the original pleco I have is no longer being shy. And he's not small like when I got him, lol. Coming up on 4 inches, not including the tail. Here's some pics.

75g119.jpg

75g120.jpg

75g121.jpg

New update. No eggs yet. I guess it's in the getting ready stage. They are defending the area, but when I pruned some plants, they did not attack me at all. So I know there's nothing there yet. They do have a nice flat surface all cleared off still.

As for my algae problem, It gets better, then it gets worse, lol. My dosing is through the roof, lol. I dose 1.5x the normal dose of nitrates, phosphates, and potassium, and the plants just rip through it, lol. Tonight my tank was pearling big time. Looked good. Also did a 50% PWC tonight, and dosed up my micros. Tomorrow will do the macros again. Going to try and get the feel for it without testing daily, just on occasion to see where I stand, and do regular PWC's. Not sure if I should up my dosing just a little more. Whether I dose or not dose, I'm still not getting rid of the algae. But what I can say is, my BN Plecos are getting fat, lol.

Wow

I just read this whole thread, and until I went and looked at my tanks I was beginning to think that I had just done all that. Unfortunately I was wrong. However, I love the tank .... maybe I will just look at the pics of it all the time and keep pretending that it is mine.

New pics 4/6/06

I got 3 more pics to share. I went to the lfs and they had 2 german blue rams left, and had them in with other cichlids, and they were getting picked on. So I decided to grab them, as they were pretty small, just babies being bullied by larger cichlids. Here they are....

The small baby on the right:
75g123.jpg

The 2 on the left next to each other are the new babies:
75g124.jpg

The 2 on the left are the babies:
75g125.jpg

One is pretty colorful and looks kind of like the others, but one has a really pink tummy. Could be female?

Yup, I had to be Mr. Nice Guy and take them away from those mean cichlids. LOL There were red tail sharks in there too, but they weren't bothering any of the cichlids or the rams. :)

Good for you. I mean what else could you do. The small one on the left in the last shot does look female. Might not be mature yet though seems quite a bit smaller than the others.

Very nice fish! I hope the ones I gonna get are that nice!

You should put the date of your updates in the thread title so I know when to check for new pics!

New pics 4/6/06

PsiPro said:

You should put the date of your updates in the thread title so I know when to check for new pics!

Kind of like what I just did?

Well, I'm still having to dose massive nitrate and phosphates and potassium. Current bioload doesn't even come close to provide the nutrients the plants need.

Re: New pics 4/6/06

Lonewolfblue said:
PsiPro said:

Kind of like what I just did?

In my defence... It wasn't like that when i posted... I think. :)

I added the date of the latest pics in the thread title. Was a good idea you brought up. Will change the date as new pics are added. And yes, it wasn't like that when you posted. :)

Back
Top Bottom