Diary of the 75G planted tank.... New pics 6/26/06

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Well, I just cycled my 75G in less than a week, lol. I figured plants need nutrients, so over the last week, I did 3 quick gravel vacs on my 26G and put it into my 75G. Now, with no filter or plants, I bump my ammonia up to 2ppm, and the next day it's 0ppm, lol. I saw nitrites for 2 days, then gone. That is totally cool. And there's no mess in the 75G, as the crud looks the same as the Eco complete, lol. So until I get the plants, will keep dosing small amounts of ammonia just to keep them going, then will add plants, and the fish from my 55G that will be going to the 75G. :)

Got 3 new pics to post.... I trimmed some java moss from my 26G and added it to the 75G.

75g28.jpg

75g29.jpg

75g30.jpg

the plants won't keep you cycled.. fish will.. so keep feeding your bacteria until you get some fish too : )

Hey there guys.........I'm loving this thread.
I just found this site today.......I'm looking to start up a 92gallon planted tank.

I think I just may do as LWB is and start a thread to show my own progress.

I'm not nearly as detailed as he is but I think fun to pick the brains of all you pros.

Speaking of picking brains..........what is the CO2 for? The plants? I've had fish tanks since I was a boy but I'm kinda new to planted tanks.
Also, what is a Eco-Complete?

LOL my first post and I'm a pain already!

Anyway......great forum and an awesome thread.........I'll be sticking around here for a long time to come.

You tie on the moss with cotton thread after a month or so the moss will attach and the thread will rot away.

GlitcH said:
Hey there guys.........I'm loving this thread.
I just found this site today.......I'm looking to start up a 92gallon planted tank.

I think I just may do as LWB is and start a thread to show my own progress.

I'm not nearly as detailed as he is but I think fun to pick the brains of all you pros.

Speaking of picking brains..........what is the CO2 for? The plants? I've had fish tanks since I was a boy but I'm kinda new to planted tanks.
Also, what is a Eco-Complete?

LOL my first post and I'm a pain already!

Anyway......great forum and an awesome thread.........I'll be sticking around here for a long time to come.

Hi....

Yes, the CO2 is for the plants. For lighting above 2w/g, you usually will need CO2. You can use Flourish Excel as the carbon source, but on a big tank, it's not cost effective, and will be spendy.

Eco Complete is the substrate (gravel). It's designed for planted tanks. Also had a bunch of nutrients as well.

Hope to see your posts soon in your thread as you go through, documenting what you do. Good luck. :)

nitrous said:
i got a question...how did u attach the java moss and why do u need another 5 tank with the 75 gallon why do you need that? sorry noob question

I use black thread and tie the java moss to the driftwood. In time, the java moss will attach itself to the driftwood, and you can cut the thread off if you like. I cut the thread off in my 26G, as after 6 months, there was no sign of deteriorating at all. So I cut them off.

Well, looks like we can only post 1 reply per 12 hours and can't answer peoples questions individually anymore. I tried replying to the 2nd question and it told me I had to wait 12 hours, lol. So I guess it's doing it the hard way now, lol.

Lonewolfblue said:
Hi....

Yes, the CO2 is for the plants. For lighting above 2w/g, you usually will need CO2. You can use Flourish Excel as the carbon source, but on a big tank, it's not cost effective, and will be spendy.

Eco Complete is the substrate (gravel). It's designed for planted tanks. Also had a bunch of nutrients as well.

Hope to see your posts soon in your thread as you go through, documenting what you do. Good luck. :)

Thx alot for addressing my questions......I had checked out the sticky's (as suggested by jchillin) and learned alot but I must have missed the mention of Flourish Excel. I currently have a partially planted tank that I'm sure will benifit from alil FE.

As for my thread.......it will be a while before I can begin....I want to get some new wall to wall rug installed before I go ahead with the new tank project. However, I did just purchase a new filter from big al's. I hear it is good to get that running on the cycled tank for a while and then use it to speed up the cycle on the new tank.

Yup, that's just what I'm doing with my XP3. It's been on my 55G since Christmas Day. Once I get my plants installed, will move both the XP3 and fish over to the 75G. Then I can go down and get more Rams as well. :)

Update...

I got my plants today. Didn't get all I wanted, and they did some switches. But overall, it looks good. I did the planting tonight, and will see if the water is a little clearer tomorrow. I also installed my filter along with the inline heater. Looks good. Will get some pics when it clears up a bit and the lights are on.

I placed 2 Hornwort in my 26G and 2 in my 55G. Guess what my eels like? The new Hornwort, lol. They like to get tangled in it. lol.

wow this is a good thread. i was thinking abotu getting some java moss for my 20 gallon and doing the same thing u did with your driftwood. how fast does this stuff grow?i have been looking at a few online retailopre that sell some prety nive size clumps of it for a decent price. does it ship well? and i really want to see the tank with the plants in it so hurry up with those pics lol

mr funktastic said:
wow this is a good thread. i was thinking abotu getting some java moss for my 20 gallon and doing the same thing u did with your driftwood. how fast does this stuff grow?i have been looking at a few online retailopre that sell some prety nive size clumps of it for a decent price. does it ship well? and i really want to see the tank with the plants in it so hurry up with those pics lol

It depends on conditions. Under low lighting, it grew very, very slow, maybe a half inch every 6 months, if that. That was with just the standard lighting that comes with an aquarium kit. But now with my 65W CF lighting, as well as using Flourish Excel, I can't keep it down, lol. It grew out so fast. As for shipping, I probably wouldn't get it online as my first choice. It's hardy, and would ship well. But I recommend check the LFS's first. And just get a small clump, because when you tie it to the driftwood, you want to spread it out very thinly. If you tie it as a clump, the lower moss will turn an ugly brown and die off.

Also, if you decide to get it online, get a few other plants as well, to make the shipping worth it, as it's quite expensive. If you have a little better lighting, one thing that fascinates me is the banana plants, lol. They are so cool. I got 6 of them, and boy do I like them. I also like the creeping mint I got. Very nice shade of green.

So that's that. I also would like to add more pictures to the thread. I've completed my tank this morning, replanted the few that I didn't quite get planted well when it was darker, as my timer turned the main lights off. So here they are. I know you all have been itching to see it. My only project left is adding CO2. I just didn't have any distilled water for the bubble counter, will be running to Safeway to get a small bottle if it today, and will set it up. Going to use the glass diffuser right under the XP3's intake for now. So here they are, you will itch no more, LOL

75g31.jpg

75g32.jpg

75g33.jpg

75g34.jpg

75g35.jpg

75g36.jpg

75g37.jpg

75g38.jpg

Well there it is. Let me know what you think......

ooo looks nice... *looks at my 55gal* a lot nicer than my swamp i have created lol! I bet when you put fish in there they will be very happy. I bet it will look great in a few months when every thing grows out

Back
Top Bottom