Diary of the 75G planted tank.... New pics 6/26/06

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
okay.. I love the tank, but I agree wtih wizzard.. I know you are into those rocks, and they are cool rocks... but honestly the tank looked better before. Any rocks that don't match substrate tend to look a little false in an scape and these also are a little too busy .

I loved the tank without reservation BEFORE they went in.. Take a look at your photos.

also, rethink the rummys. I'm trying to get 11 out of my tank right now..the dreaded things are tough to catch.. tho crazycat's tank awaits them if I can... Rummys are fry eaters, and your rams will be under siege if they try to breed. Much more fun to see teh rams do their thing without rummys disturbing the entire process ..

consider pencils... my new love, as dithers.... as they will keep teh rams out and about and NOT eat fry so you might get to watch some cool mating/ rearing behaviors

finally I think you may be planning too many rams. They are fairly territorial.

I"d go to www.apistogramma.com and ask about stocking levels for dwarf cichlids in a 75. They know tons there. They kept me down to a trio of cacs in 35 gallons... and the fish are doing great.

btw.. I don't knwo where you are based, but Mark at annubias Design gets incredible pencil fish in on a regular basis... and is going to get mortonthaleri in for me in a matter of weeks. They are as red all over as rummy noses are!

How would dwarf pencil fish (Nannostomus marginatus) do? The only thing I don't like with pencil fish is from what I read, they do better in smaller groups. I want something a little bit larger grouping, but yet small fish. And neons won't last with the angels.

Also rethinking the rocks. I may take out the white rock and the glacier jade, whitish green, and some of the plumb sea glass, which can hardly be seen. But definitely keeping the red lava rock in there, as it goes with the lava cave look, an area with some lava features. I tried the black lava rock, but they all float, lol.

Also, the way I'm looking at stocking levels, any fish that's threatened by aggression levels will be moved back to my 55G where they were. I got 3 each now, and was planning on adding 2 more each of the rams, and any that's picked on too much will move back to the 55G, which is no problem. Same with the angels, will start with 3, and if 2 pair off and pick on the 3rd, it will move to the 55G. So I have protections in place, and yet get to keep all my cool fish. :)

great tank wolf i have to say can u get an under pic of the lighting fixture and a pic of the co2 tank please i would like to see what these look like

nitrous said:
great tank wolf i have to say can u get an under pic of the lighting fixture and a pic of the co2 tank please i would like to see what these look like

Here they are....

75g54.jpg

75g55.jpg

75g57.jpg

75g58.jpg

75g59.jpg

75g60.jpg

Very good setup and research. Excited to see progression pics.

New update...

Ever since planting, my ammonia and nitrite skyrocketed. Well, all.s looking good now. Yesterday my ammonia was at 2ppm, and nitrite was pegged at 5ppm. Here's tonights results....

Ammonia - 0ppm
Nitrite - .25ppm
Nitrate - Not checked tonight, will do that tomorrow, as well as phosphate.
ph - 6.6
temp - 78.9

Bumped Ammonia to 1ppm. Let's see if it goes to 0ppm tomorrow, as well as nitrite. Also, I'll be starting a log on paper here with all my daily readings, til I get the hang of dosing the tank.

I also ordered 2 new lights, the same as the one on my 75G. Got them on ebay cheap. Going to have 2 on the 75G, but will only use 1 set of lights, and use the other set as spare. Also thinking of making those bulbs 50/50's, and get some blue in there. But we'll see. The other will go on my 55G, and will only use 1 set of bulbs, the other will be spare. Hornwort in the 55G seems to be turning a little browner. So I think I need more light. The hornwort in my 26G is nice and green, and looking good.

Great Tank....love what you've done....

I am starting a 20 gal H and was wondering if a Powerhead is essetential - if so, how can I integrate that with the Hagen Natural Co2 system?

How many bags of eco-complete will I need?

Thanks in advance!

pencil fish do fine in larger groups.. it is just that they don't NEED schools.. but I have a bunch of different ones... 5 eques.. three tris and three fake tris and the tris are pairing off and showing mating behavior.. sort of swiming in curliques around one another. veyr cool. the eques are alll hanging together..

the trick is to make sure they all eat.. waht I do is a dd a frozen cube of baby brine which dissipates nicely... and makes sure all get to eat.

Ok, finally got a chance to catch up with your log. As a fellow 75 gal planted tank keeper, I will give you a big (y). Everything looks really good. In regard to the rocks, I started mine with a lot of fedder stone, river and pagoda rocks, which I created caves and other decor. I've since removed all of them other than the cave and river rock due to needing the additional room for plants. :D I would remove the light colored rocks...they do take away from your theme.

nitrous said:
love the tank and those are compact flourescents arent they?

Yes, they are 260W CF's. Each bulb is 65W. 2 are 6400k and 2 are 12000k.

PrettyFishies said:

I am starting a 20 gal H and was wondering if a Powerhead is essetential - if so, how can I integrate that with the Hagen Natural Co2 system?

Thanks in advance!

For a 20G high, probably 2, maybe 3 to be on the safe side. I have 8 in the 75G. I've never used the Hagen, but if you can place the output of the CO2 system under the powerhead intake, it will help. And you really don't need too big a powerhead for a 20G.

Lonewolfblue said:
nitrous said:
love the tank and those are compact flourescents arent they?

Yes, they are 260W CF's. Each bulb is 65W. 2 are 6400k and 2 are 12000k.

PrettyFishies said:

Thanks in advance!

For a 20G high, probably 2, maybe 3 to be on the safe side. I have 8 in the 75G. I've never used the Hagen, but if you can place the output of the CO2 system under the powerhead intake, it will help. And you really don't need too big a powerhead for a 20G.

so does the light fixture come with two different plugs, so you can turn on the 6400k by itself and or have just the 12000k on by itself?

3 switches, one for 6400k, one for 12000k, and one for the moonlights. And 3 cords as well. All plugged into my electronic timer system.

Lonewolfblue said:
3 switches, one for 6400k, one for 12000k, and one for the moonlights. And 3 cords as well. All plugged into my electronic timer system.

I see four lights which are the 6400 and 12000 but I do not see moonlights where are those located at in the fixture?

kaz said:
Lonewolfblue said:

I see four lights which are the 6400 and 12000 but I do not see moonlights where are those located at in the fixture?

The 4 round things on the bottom in the last picture, those are 4 blue LED's. And yes, it's a lot of light, lol. But apparently not enough, the Ludwigia repens are losing their red, which means not enough light. Going to have another fixture on there soon. Then I can gage how much light I need to run, lol.

EDIT:

Ok, Update time:

I did many things tonight. First, i did an 85% PWC on my 55G, didn't do it this weekend since I was busy planting, lol. Also did a 25% PWC on my 26G. When completed, I did tests on my 75G, here's my results:

Ammonia - 0ppm
Nitrite - 0ppm
Nitrate - 40ppm
Phosphate - .5
ph - 6.8
gh - 100
kh - 70
CO2 - 19ppm

Think that's the reason for my green algae on the glass? High nitrates and low phosphates. Out of whack.

Guess what? I'm cycled, yipeeeeeeeee.............. I added another 1.5ppm ammonia, since I don't have fish in there yet. Now I can start stocking the fish.... :)

I know I'll be getting rid of the white rocks, but am keeping the red. It's not as bright as in the picture. They are lava rock, and kind of dull looking. Some reason the flash on the camera really makes them stand out. I'll be taking some out, but some will stay in. All the other rocks will be coming out too. I just wish the black lava rock would have worked, but they float, lol.

Back
Top Bottom