Diatom floating all over the tank.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

360º

Aquarium Advice FINatic
looks like i got diatom algae in my tank stuck to everything. and now it seems like its floating all over the tank.

i did 2 50% water changes and its still all over the place. i think it killed one of my puffers and 2 more look like they're dying.

what can i do to get rid of this?

i bought 1 oto yesterday thinking it would help but he seems very slow.

please help!!!!

I don't think diatoms should float around the tank. It sounds like you might have moved something, and released a lot of mulm etc from around it, and might possibly have an ammonia spike, so you should probably check your params. Also, if you have some pics, that would help as well.

Diatom algae shouldn't be able to kill anything, but if it is, it might be indicative of some other underlying problems.

there is no ammonia, nitrite or nitrate.

i did a 25% water change right before that and scrubbed 1/2 of my filters gently in the tank water.

since then i did 2 50% water changed and that crap is all over

Why do you have 0 nitrate? Please post your tank contents (decorations, filters & filter media, substrate, anything else in the tank other than fish). If you have 0, 0, 0 on your am/ni/na, you have a problem.

Are you sure it's diatoms and not mulm from the filters? If you got mulm back into the tank, you may have caused your water parameters to spike.

heres what it looks like today

img_1135682_0_601101e526bbd3cf063a04ba2082f262.jpg

img_1135682_1_74fdfa36f1f1aaa10ade57316ec18fd4.jpg

The read stuff? are those blood worms? Otherwise that looks like cyano but I've not seen it red except in salt water.

As for the cobweb stuff. It's probably thread algae with junk caught in it.

It's possible the cobweb stuff is the snail goop if you have them. When I had some bigger apple snails, they left this slime, that kind of looked like that. Otherwise, like Crepe said, it could also be algae.

lol well whatever it was.

i took all the fish out.

drained the whole tank

took out all the sand

washed everything, refilled it and put the fish back in.

crystal clear now..... 3 hours later

Back
Top Bottom