Diatoms (brown algae)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Anna94

Aquarium Advice FINatic
How do I keep diatoms (brown/rusty algae) from developing in my tank? It annoys me so much cuz it not only grows on the glass, but it grows on the plants and decor and it makes the tank look unsightly. It doesn't get super bad cuz I try to scrub my glass every time I see it and I soak the plants and decor in bleach water every time they get bad. But I would still like to keep it from coming back.

Ok I'm stumped. Diatoms need silicates? What is the gravel made up of?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I have read that sometimes the silicates are in the water. There is some sort of test but I don't know enough and hope someone will chime in.

Can you post a pic so the resident experts can get a peek and see if they suspect some other culprit?

I just cleaned my tank so there are none present right now so I can't take a pic.

Iron (gravel or food containing iron) + Phosphates (fish food ,dosing routine) + Light are what supports Diatoms & all other Algae.
Iron: water source,fish food,other source?
Phosphates: dosing routine, over feeding easily results in P resources in the tank.
Light: photo period & intensity are what you need to try to adjust? what are you using & how long?
Diatoms will NOT disappear using Black out method.only slow them.
they are one of the 1st creatures on our planet,millions of yrs of evolution.
to starve them out balance of the above 3 is what is required.
If your plants are under nourished (resource limited)then they will struggle with iron & P uptake the diatoms can easily consume them.(ex EI dosing method supports limitation of resources for plant growth,which revolves around C02.)
lowering lighting and/or photo period will help plants become stronger & limit what's left over for the diatoms & they will decline.
even if you sterilize everything that has ever touched the inside of your tank the spores are airborn so they will readily re-inhabit any supporting enviroment with out being spread by the user.
the general concensus that they will disappear by them self's is misleading for those who'm have that experience their tanks have reached a Better equalibrium which resulted in the diatom;s Apearing to disappear,when in fact the tank still has them,however tank conditions presently wont support noticible amounts.
hope that helps.

supporting study
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/25873463

once done reading that, type (diatoms iron) in the search upper right to get more results,many are salt water studies however the principles & out comes are the same.
dont feel bad Anna my tank is horribly brown right now which is why i did the research. I'm starting with 2 hrs shorter lighting period & lil less chow.
I have copper slag substrate.(local alt for the black beauty coal slag) I wanted that look.
I found out that having media thats 65% FeO prob wasnt the best choice now but am willing to try & work around it. we shall see.
Also if you chose to use an animal (otto,algae eater) for combat all you will do is create a different algae type to to the break down of the diatom by ingestion/consumption, comon outcome is green spot algae in numbers equal or greater than the diatoms.(cell division)
reaad also about cyano bacteria it is also brown & a different creature,you can actualy peel it off leaves of plants intact,where as Diatoms turn to dust when disturbed.
cyano is a bacteria NOT an algae. it is also millions of yrs old & very adaptable,it colinizes in similar fashion (also airborn spores) but due to other tank excess/deficiencies.

+1 to guru.
My experience with diatoms is your tank will eventually find an equilibrium that you one day not see this type of algae.

Sadly this is when you notice the more nuisance algae lol.

In my experience this is about 3 months. Freshwater control I normally add more flow and up my gravel vac frequency.

If after your tank is fully cycled, bottom to top microfauna. If still having an issue an option is an RO/DI unit. But I think this would be overkill just to deal with diatoms.

Back
Top Bottom