Diatoms in newly mixed water?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dmolavi

Aquarium Advice Addict
Background info:
For my 20g tank, I keep a 3 gallon bucket of RO/DI water for top off during the week. On Fridays, I pull 3 more freshly made gallons and put it into a clean mixing bucket, add salt, a powerhead (maxijet 400) and a heater. I do my PWC on Saturday, about 24hrs after I mix the water.

What I'm noticing is that once I've added all the freshly mixed water, there appears to be a fine layer of brown "dust", which I'm guessing are diatoms as they wash right out, on the bottom of the mixing bucket.

I keep the RO/DI buckets covered at all times, and the mixing bucket is likewise covered during the 24hrs between mix and use. Could the diatoms be "Klingons" on the internals of the powerhead or in the nooks/crannies of the heater (ie, near the adjustment dial, etc)?

The powerhead and heater are stored out of water during the week when they're not being used, so I would have thought that 6+ days of being non-submerged would have killed the buggers (although I'm sure the internals are still damp). If this isn't the case, what's the easiest way to get the powerhead and heater cleaned of them, so they don't get reintroduced into my DT? Is it better to store the equipment submerged in RO water even when not in use?

I'm new to this but from reading Alot of posts on here people have problems with brown residue from mixing salt too long. Only certain salts do this though. But like I said I am just starting out in the hobby.

i have had the same situation. in my opinion, it's not diatom. it's more of the residue from the tank or wherever your powerhead picked up from. for instance, i have had these "diatoms" from the main tank. if you use the same powerhead from the tank to mix the saltwater crystals, then you're bound to have some of the residue in the newly mixed water. even when you think the powerheads or other equipments are clean, there are crannies and nooks where these residue can reside and be released.

It's not the DT powerhead, it's one I use only for mixing. FWIW, I was using standard IO salt. This week will be my first full mix of their Reef Crystals. I'll dial down the mixing time, too.

It's not the DT powerhead, it's one I use only for mixing. FWIW, I was using standard IO salt. This week will be my first full mix of their Reef Crystals. I'll dial down the mixing time, too.
I use kent marine. Everyone says it leaves residue but I just did my 2 week water change last night with the water I made up 7 days ago. Not residue or film. I do not heat my saltwater while mixing. It gets up to about 76* with just the heat of my MJ 1200 in 35 gallons of water. Not sure what cause the residue. Wether it be the mix or not. My thoughts were always, IF, it was the mix doing it then why does the tank that you are pouring it in not get that residue built up? Food for thought lol.

I had residue from IO. I got some aquavitro and, nothing. I've heard others mention residue from IO Reef, but I've never used it.

Back
Top Bottom