diatoms?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Charlie.636

Aquarium Advice Activist
My friend think this is diatoms. Just wondering if anyone knows how to get rid of this? I have a big flat piece of rock that is completely covered.

ForumRunner_20131012_215232.jpg

ForumRunner_20131012_215214.jpg

They do appear to be diatoms, and the only suggestion I have is to let them run their coarse......

Diatoms are usually all over the sand too (at least whenever I've had them starting a tank). Could it just be algae? Different CUC members eat different thinks...I don't usually have them, so I don't honestly pay much attention to who does what, but I believe that turbo and margarita snails eat film algae. Hermits usually go after hair algae. If it is diatoms, they will eventually go away after all the silicates in the sand are gone.

What I found to be the best in keeping my sand clean was a diamond goby, and nassarius snails. Diatoms will need to run their corse and will prob look worse before they get any better. But my goby is always gill raking my sand bed and moving it around without disrupting the aqua scape to bad.

Back
Top Bottom