Did i make a mistake??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Imat

Aquarium Advice Regular
Ok so i love gbr. LOVE them.
I wanted to add them to my 55 gallon tank. I am not sure how many is appropriate for this size of tank.
It currently is stocked with

15 neon tetras
5 otocats
1 dwarf guarami

I bought 3 gbr's today. Two regular gbr and one balloon gbr. I tried to get all females in hopes that they wouldn't fight. Would this be ok? Also, i love the long finned gbr as well. Am I pushing it having all 3 types there? Do they have to be paired?

Advice is appreciated. Tank has been up and running for years so it is cycled. I have a few fake plants in it (not in this picture) but my husband accidentally ruined the rest of my plants.

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1424387399.215569.jpg

Also... Here is one of the rams. I think it may be a male??? ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1424387474.620434.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

It should be OK, although your neons may get picked off over time. One giant word of advice--------DON'T BUY BALLON FISH OF ANY TYPE! It is a genetic deformity and the fish suffer throughout their SHORT lives.

The photo is not close enough for me to sex the ram, but if you have a pair somebody is odd fish out so make two territories.

If the black spot has sparckly blue/a crystaly look to it, and the black tip at the front of its dorsal fin is taller compared to the rest of the fin, it's a male.

Temp should at least be 82 for GBR if not higher...

Good luck, they are sensitive fish who need clean water :)

I think i am gonna take the balloon one back. It isnt looking happy at all.

All my levels are great and i take good care of my water. How do I make set territories?? Dont they figure that out?
I would love to get a pair of gbr and and pair of long finned gbr but am worried about the aggression. I will try to take a better picture of the fish. One i know for sure is a female. The other one I am not entirely sure.

I think i am gonna take the balloon one back. It isnt looking happy at all.

All my levels are great and i take good care of my water. How do I make set territories?? Dont they figure that out?
I would love to get a pair of gbr and and pair of long finned gbr but am worried about the aggression. I will try to take a better picture of the fish. One i know for sure is a female. The other one I am not entirely sure.

Youre pretty much limited to a single pair of gbrs in a tank. They are just too aggressive towards each other to add more.

The balloon gbrs should be avoided at all costs. They took a sensitive fish and bred a birth defect into it making it even more sensitive. Its an unethical practice and the same goes for all balloon fish.

Yep, looks like one of those Indonesian metallic green Gonipora's. They have a tremendously bad track record :cry: I think the reds are better, but all gonipora are considered advaced to expert corals. You may consider PM'ing Alf. He has kept several goniporas successfully for a few years. I have also read that goniporas tend to do better as multiples, but my feelings are that if one is doomed, why add to the problem....

Please stop using the blue on the lateral spot as a diagnostic for sexing anything but wild blue rams. Both sexes can display this feature in aquarium strains. Here's a link to my sapphire ram thread http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/showthread.php?t=329889 in post #17 there is a pic of 2 proven females that show why this is a inaccurate method for sexing.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Odd my quote seems to be from one of the saltwater sections that I never visit.

LOL I have seen this happen a few times lately.

Glitch in the matrix.. always some really old quote from something totally unrelated.

LOL I have seen this happen a few times lately.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom