Did I overstock?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

klacid

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I've been looking at stocking threads and articles for a while and I gathered absolutely nothing from them... So many different opinions and tips, I'm not sure what to believe. I was hoping someone here could help.

After a recent trip to my LFS I ended up caving in to the salesman and came home with more fish than I wanted... At the moment I have:

15 Harlequin Rasboras
10 Neon Tetras
6 Lemon Tetras
8 Bleeding Heart Tetras
2 teenage Angelfish, not huge, but not tiny either
3 Ancistrus fish
1 Dwarf Gourami

The tank is a heavily planted 55 gallon, the filter I'm running is a 160GPH canister filter (Eheim EF4), I'm using Siporax ceramics bio-media and sponges and some vat as filtration. The tank is cycled.

Other than the Angels and the Neon Tetras all fish are fairly tiny and young right now. 1 day in and the fish are behaving normally.

I'm a newb and I'm seriously worried that I overstocked. I was told that this aquarium can handle all these fish easily, but some salesmen will say anything to sell their crap...

Any advice would be very much appreciated.

Your tank can handle the fish, but you're still a bit overstocked. If you plan to keep all the fish you currently have, I would add an additional filter of the same size, and plan to do weekly 50% water changes and substrate vacuum. It's going to be a very busy tank, especially as you have it heavily planted. IMO, choose 2 of your schools of fish, and rehome the other 2. Then, you probably won't need the second filter, as the plants will help your water quality. But, it's only my opinion, as I don't do planted tanks; only my ponds have live flora, so I could be way off on my advice. You may consider also posting in the planted tanks forum for better advice.

Thank you very much SherLar. I'll commit to constant water changes. Definitely considering an extra filter.

As a temporary solution, I think I'll rehome a tiny portion of the more sturdy fish in an empty 10 gal just to take some bioload off of my tank.

Thanks.

Any of your 3 schools of tetras could live quite happily in a 10g, especially if they're the only fish in the tank.

What kind of plecos did you get? They really poop a lot, and tend to hide, so they'd be some of the first I'd take back if you want to cut your numbers, and I say that as a person with a BN lol.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Aquarium Advice mobile app

None of the fish in the list is suitable for a 10g. Unfortunately the tank is overstocked. I would recommend you research proper stocking. Ideally you would have your stocking planned prior to shopping so impulses dont happen.

I'd agree you're a little overstcked, but (as said before) with a boost in filtration, and good water mangement, you could make it work. Test your water every few days, and get a feel for how fast the nitrates build up. Adjust water changes to compensate. Fish will do fine with a healthy environment. The environment is your job.

3 Ancistrus is a lot. BN Plecos I'm assuming. 1 is plenty for a 55g IME.

Those are the main poop factories.

Your Angels may grow up and eat the Neons. Or not. They eat them in the wild. The other fish aren't snack sized.

Test your water. Keep an eye on your numbers. Consider taking back 1-2 Plecos.

Most of your fish should be ok with clean water. None will outgrow the tank.

Sounds like a nice looking tank. Pics ?

Back
Top Bottom