Did I stall or kill my cycle?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Follow the guide. When your nitrites go way off the charts just do small water changes to get them at a readable level. The nitrite bacteria takes longer to multiply while the ammonia bacteria is happily nitrifying the ammonia and throwing more and more nitrite at the nitrite eating bacteria but they are simply not in sufficient numbers to take care of it. And so you get a massive backlog of nitrites and they fly of the charts.

If you keep nitrites at a readable level it's easier to see when they are starting to come down. You should then test for nitrate to confirm and start dose lower amounts of ammonia like 2ppm.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

So even though my ammonia was 4ppm 4 days ago and now its 1ppm... i do not see nitrites in the test. So that is because "The nitrite bacteria takes longer to multiply while the ammonia bacteria is happily nitrifying the ammonia and throwing more and more nitrite at the nitrite eating bacteria but they are simply not in sufficient numbers to take care of it." ? So if I dose more ammonia now eventually one day I will see high numbers of nitrites all the sudden?

Back
Top Bottom