Did my fish just die???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

beautifulbettas

Aquarium Advice Activist
I put my betta daemon in my breeding tank and i think it may have been to hot he starting swimming around on his side and bumping into things then he stopped moving so I went to put him back in his tank and when he was out of the water he didn't flop around I even touched him and he didn't move now he's laying in the bottom of his tank motionless....is he dead?

Did you acclimate him when you moved him? Or did you just dump him in the new tank?

I'm so sorry. That really does sound like he's dead. :(
May I ask what the parameters of the tank are? How big is it? Ammonia, nitrite, nitrate levels? Just trying to figure out what might have happened. How old was the betta? What was the water temp?

I'm so sorry. That really does sound like he's dead. :(
May I ask what the parameters of the tank are? How big is it? Ammonia, nitrite, nitrate levels? Just trying to figure out what might have happened. How old was the betta? What was the water temp?

It is a 10g tank all the ammonia nitrite and nitrate are 0 and he's not that old my thermometer broke last night so I'm not sure of the temp

Bit of an odd question here, but it could be relevant ... did the thermometer break inside the tank? Why did you move him from his old tank, out of curiosity? Again, just trying to isolate what the problem might have been.

Bit of an odd question here, but it could be relevant ... did the thermometer break inside the tank? Why did you move him from his old tank, out of curiosity? Again, just trying to isolate what the problem might have been.

The thermometer broke In a come rely different tank and the reason I moved him was to put him in the breeding tank

All right. Last questions and then I won't bother you anymore. :) How big was his old tank and what were its parameters? And this new tank, did you use water conditioner in it?

All right. Last questions and then I won't bother you anymore. :) How big was his old tank and what were its parameters? And this new tank, did you use water conditioner in it?

His old tank was 3 gallons and I did condition it...do you think he's gone?

It does sound like it, sadly. :( That's just a very odd chain of events. It really sounds like he was poisoned by something.
You can try leaving him in the tank for a few hours in case something changes--I saw a totally unexpected, pretty much miraculous recovery of a betta who a person had thought was dead for two days. She finally went to take him out to bury him and suddenly he was swimming again. This is incredibly rare and not something I expect will happen ... but there's always hope. Again, I am so sorry. :( After a few hours, if you see no movement at all, he's definitely gone.

It does sound like it, sadly. :( That's just a very odd chain of events. It really sounds like he was poisoned by something.
You can try leaving him in the tank for a few hours in case something changes--I saw a totally unexpected, pretty much miraculous recovery of a betta who a person had thought was dead for two days. She finally went to take him out to bury him and suddenly he was swimming again. This is incredibly rare and not something I expect will happen ... but there's always hope. Again, I am so sorry. :( After a few hours, if you see no movement at all, he's definitely gone.

Ok :( I'll just feel so bad if I take him out and he's still alive

:( If you feel more comfortable, you can put him back in his 3 gallon, so he doesn't pollute your breeder tank if he is actually dead. Then you can wait 24 hours. That at least will give you more time to come to terms with his totally unexpected death. It's what I would personally do if one of my beloved fish had that happen. :(

:( If you feel more comfortable, you can put him back in his 3 gallon, so he doesn't pollute your breeder tank if he is actually dead. Then you can wait 24 hours. That at least will give you more time to come to terms with his totally unexpected death. It's what I would personally do if one of my beloved fish had that happen. :(

Thank you soich

I'm sad to say that daemon did pass away and the ground is frozen so I can't burry him as is the lake....I've been putting it off but the only other option is flushing him...I'm about to do it, here's a picture of him. Those of you who knew daemon can see you pale he is and his blue has turned greyImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1390784986.111530.jpg

I'm so so sorry for your loss. :( Could you pour a cup of hot water in the ground to soften it enough to dig a little hole? I know how hard it would be to flush any of my babies.

I'm so so sorry for your loss. :( Could you pour a cup of hot water in the ground to soften it enough to dig a little hole? I know how hard it would be to flush any of my babies.

It's -20 degrees out now :( so I couldn't I put some petals in with him

So sorry for your loss. :(

You could also put him in the freezer (in a ziplock baggie) until spring. That's what I did with mine a couple years ago. I buried him in our little pet cemetery at my dad's.

So sorry for your loss. :(

You could also put him in the freezer (in a ziplock baggie) until spring. That's what I did with mine a couple years ago. I buried him in our little pet cemetery at my dad's.

That's a good idea I already did it though :( wish I hadn't now

Back
Top Bottom