Difference between zoas and pallys and a few questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TheTrav13

Aquarium Advice Activist
I just bought a frag of pallys and a frag of zoas yesterday and the guy at the fish store told me to wait a week before putting them up higher then the substrate so they can get used to the light. Is this true?

In regards to their temperament in "chemical warfare", could I put them on the same rock or will one eventually take over the other? And what if I put them near mushrooms or green star polyps?

Also, he said the pallys prefer moderate water flow but I've never heard that. Is that true?

And what's the best way to propagate each fastest? Spot feeding?

I just bought a frag of pallys and a frag of zoas yesterday and the guy at the fish store told me to wait a week before putting them up higher then the substrate so they can get used to the light. Is this true?

Yes. Depending on your lighting, they may prefer "shade" even.

In regards to their temperament in "chemical warfare", could I put them on the same rock or will one eventually take over the other? And what if I put them near mushrooms or green star polyps?

Whichever of those that grows the fastest will likely prevail. Be ready to frag whatever it is and it's no worry.

Also, he said the pallys prefer moderate water flow but I've never heard that. Is that true?

They vary IMO. The best way to find their individual ideal conditions is to move them around the tank for a few weeks and take notes on how they do where.

And what's the best way to propagate each fastest? Spot feeding?

No need to spot feed any of them IMO. Proper lighting, good water conditions, and a normally fed aquarium should be all you need.

I have a 29 gallon and I'm running t5ho current nova 4x24 watt bulbs. Any suggestions on placement?

from what I have found with Zoa's is there is not set placement, you just have to move them around until you find them a happy spot. I have some that seem to do better in the middle of the tank and some that seem to like higher up, i also have a frag thats close to the bottom

how long does it take for them to acclimate to a new lighting position? a week?

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom