Dirty Looking Water

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Opheliac

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello, I need some advice or thoughts on a problem. I have added a picture of my 55 gallon tank. Look at the water colour of it. I had changed most of it four days ago and that is how it looks now. There is no smell. So I don't think I am over feeding them. Any advice,concerns, thoughts and or opinions are most welcomed. Looking forward to a quick reply...:)
Denise

Attachments

• Picture.jpg
    Picture.jpg
    48.9 KB · Views: 599
Denise, it looks to me like you stirred up the bottom pretty good and it has not been filtered from the water yet. Maybe a large water change using a gravel vacuum followed by a gentle return of water to the tank would work. That way you remove the cloudiness and don't stir up as much dirt next time.

It looks like it has been stirred up to me as well. How long has the tank been set up? Do you use a python or buckets for water changes?

i'd be checking perameters and such. what sort of filtration you have? are you fully cycled?

And establish tank doesn't get dirty... you can stir them up all you want and they clear the next day with reasonable filtration.

I purposely stir mine up so the filters can catch the stuff. They clear within an hour.

If your tank is cycled and you do not make the mistake of "cleaning" your filter once a week, and your filter is properly sized to turn turn the tank over at the very least 5 times per hour (10 times an hour is better) then I'm not real sure what it could be.

did you recently add any driftwood? Some contain tannins that color your water sort of like tea. Suggestions are to soak the new wood in HOT water with daily water changes until the water stays clear.

Hello anf thanx for the replies. I am using two filters. A topfin 40 and a aquatech 30-60. I have a better picture that I will post but you have to excuse the cats..lol.

Dirty Water or poor fish caregiver

Hi again, just wanted to answer one person's question. I only check the PH. Don't know how to check the other parimeters. It read at the time between 7.5 to 8.0. My fish in the 55 gallon are all from the catfish family so I am wondering if they are just big poopers. I know both of my Claris catfish like to burrow in the subtrate. I have since changed the water after posting my post and the PH read 7.0 but it won't stay that way after two to three days. The water will get brown again. I was cleaning the filters every week but have stopped that. I have been putting in new filters every two weeks. Is that wrong to do? Any advice is good advice....:D

None of the following relates to your actual question, as I can't see the picture from my mother-in-law's dial-up connection, so this is just advice from the text part of your post.

If your filter needs cleaning, wait until you change water and just rinse it in the bucket of old tank water. You should never replace the filter pad as long as it is mechanically intact, and when it comes time to do it the best thing is to add the second filter behind the old one and run both together for at least a week, preferably two.

You should start by reading the article that's stickied at the top of this forum on cycling a tank. Since you have fish already you won't be doing everything it recommends, but you do need to have a basic understanding of the water chemistry discussed there.

Short version:
Protein in your tank from uneaten food and fish poop is broken down by bacteria in the water or poop into ammonia. The fish also secrete ammonia directly in urine. Ammonia is highly toxic to your fish in any significant amounts, and even in small amounts it causes them a lot of stress and will make them susceptible to all sorts of diseases and parasites. Breathing ammonia is not a good thing.

Certain species of bacteria are adapted to "eat" ammonia. These are not present in your tank initially in any large numbers because there was not a source of food for them at first. Once an ammonia source is provided (the fish) they will begin to establish themselves. The filter is the best place for them to live because all the water in the tank is eventually washed past it, so all the food comes to them there. The filter material also provides lots of surfaces for them to settle on. The establishment of this biological filtration removing ammonia is essential to the health of your fish, and if you throw out the filter pad periodically you're starting over each time.

The first colonies of bacteria, unfortunately, produce a waste product (nitrITE, NO2) which is itself toxic, and a second colony of a different species of bacteria will eventually form which eats that and converts it into relatively harmless nitrATE (NO3).

The first step is:
- Stop throwing out filter pads. When they get dirty, rinse the dirt out in tank water (chlorine in tap water will kill your bacteria so don't rinse them in the sink). They will still look brown, and that's fine.
- Get test kits for the chemicals I mentioned above. At a minimum you need an ammonia and a nitrite test kit. Most people here will recommend you test for nitrate also, but if you change water regularly your fish will survive without this one. These tests are available at most any pet store, and will generally be located near the fish medication stuff. Get a liquid test kit, not the little paper strips (those are notoriously inaccurate, although cheap). Most often recommended is the API Master kit, which you can find around $30 online, but if you wanted the minimum kit you can buy the ammonia and nitrite tests separately for $6-8 each.

Those chemicals need to be monitored frequently, preferably daily, until you know the bacteria are established. This is done by changing some water every time ammonia or nitrite reaches or exceeds 0.5 ppm (parts per million). At first expect to see some ammonia and zero nitrite, and that will continue for some time - 3 to 5 weeks if you were starting from scratch, but your tank may have some bacteria in it already. Eventually you'll see the ammonia drop quickly to zero and you'll have nitrite present. When the nitrite goes away then your tank is settled and will take care of itself.

Not necessarily related:
If your pH is changing there is a problem. That isn't good for the fish and it indicates that there is something rotting in the tank and producing acid. Find it and remove it (could just be fish poop settled into the gravel). Don't use pH Up or Down to try to adjust your pH. These chemicals generally have a short-lived effect and the change in pH will stress your fish when you add it and when it wears off. The fish will adapt to the water you put them in, at a wide range of pH, but they can't adapt if it's always changing.

May not be cycled... best course of action at this stage is likely to be 50% wc 3 times per week until it is settled and more established.

you need to test for ammonia and nitrite at this stage to check those levels.

You stated that you have been changing the filter every 2 weeks so your tank is not cycled. What that means is the bacteria that GZeiger was talking about are not established in your tank. You need to obtain a test kit that will at least allow you to test for ammonia and nitrites using a liquid reagent process. What you do then is partial water changes as large as needed and as often as needed to keep the ammonia and nitrites consistently below 0.25 ppm. Until you have the test kit, it would be best to change at least 50% of the water every day. Once you have the kit it will guide your water changes. As GZeiger said, just rinse the old filter in used tank water and re-use it. That maintenance is needed whenever the filter flow starts to slow down. It is not ever a good idea to replace filter media while it is still in one piece.

Thanx guys for the helpful information and I will do what has been suggested and keep you posted on my progress. Again thank you very much:)

Back
Top Bottom